Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Historical Novel Society 2013 Conference: Gushing & a Story

Me, Nancy Bilyeau, Amy Bruno, Sophie Perinot
I'm back from both my work conference and the Historical Novel Society's 2013 Conference.

I had an amazing time.

Some off-the-top-of-my-head points:

  • I rode in the same van as Diana Gabaldon on the way to the conference, and me and my fellow shuttle-mates all tried to play it super cool.  Gabaldon was incredibly gracious.
  • Amy of Passages to the Past and Historical Novel Virtual Book Tours and Heather of The Maiden's Court are as fabu as one would expect and I'm grateful that they were my con buddies! (Also, how crazy is it that I had to go to Florida to meet Heather, who lives, like, 40 minutes away from me!?!)
  • got to meet bloggers like Meg of A Bookish Affair and reviewer/author/GoodReads friend Jane Steen
  • every author I met was adorable, gracious, enthusiastic, collegial, sweet, and supportive, not just of each other, but of the aspiring writers, bloggers, readers, and fans
  • had the head spinning experience of people gasping when they met me!
  • the panels were fun and interesting -- loved hearing writers talking about their craft and geek out about their passions
  • my panel went well and I'm grateful to have been a part of it with Julie K. Rose, Andrea Connell, and Heather Domin (Julie has posted our list of highly recommended off-the-beaten path historical fiction if you're curious!).  My three co-panelists were awesome and put up with my jittery chattiness!
  • I came home with only 8 books (I exercised self control!): two purchased, three from the swag bag, and three gifted to me
  • the conference hotel is allegedly haunted, and I'm glad I learned this after leaving!

A handful of us tried to live-tweet the conference, but as the wifi was a bit spotty in the hotel, the tweet stream might not be the easiest way to get a sense of the conference. I storified/created a story of the conference to attempt to share some of the flavor.  I miss the conference so much already!



24 comments:

  1. Diana Gabaldon on your shuttle?? No way! That is so so awesome.

    Sounds like a great trip. I've got to read the rest of this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It was a marvelous start to an incredible weekend. Really surreal.

      Delete
  2. How fun! I bet it was hard to play it cool with Diana Gabaldon so close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent the whole weekend grinning idiotically!

      Delete
  3. Wow, sounds like you had a great time!! And only eight books?? Nice job! I have absolutely no self-control at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped I had so many of those books as ARCs -- otherwise, shopping spree!

      Delete
  4. Meeting you was one of the highlights of my convention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!!!!!!!!!!! You just made my life. I can die happy!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like such a great time! I love bookish conventions, and though I've only ever attended bookseller ones, it sounds like I ought to branch out a bit. Glad you had a wonderful time, and way cool about sharing the shuttlte with Gabaldon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a wonderful starter con, I have to say -- about 300ish attendees, so small and intimate panels -- incredible access to accomplished writers -- and for those who want to learn more abt the craft, excellent themes. I shared with some of the writers that I'm going to be doing writing on my sabbatical and they were so generous with advice and encouragement.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your HNS2013 experiences, Audra. It looks like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to return to everyday reality! ;)

      Delete
  7. This sounds like SO much fun! I'm so glad that things like this are happening for the genre :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful, and v welcoming as a non-writer. I'm totally addicted -- can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  8. I don't know if I could play it cool riding in the same vehicle as a big time author! The conference looks like it was a lot of fun. :)

    eeek, in the same room with Anne Perry? I can't read her books after finding out about her past, but I respect those who do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jess, I feel as you do, and haven't read her as it seems v macabre. At times, it was hard not to read too much into her comments but at the same time, she spoke v passionately and eloquently abt the way reading can be an escape during our blackest times. No doubt she speaks from experience and whether she expected the audience to know abt her past or not, I can't say, but I appreciated that honesty.

      Delete
  9. How exciting!! You must have been beside yourself with glee :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds and looks amazing, Audra! I've not read Gabaldon yet but can understand how awesome that would've been, though your experience of people being glad to meet you is even better :) Glad you found out about the haunting after you left, that's the best way especially if it's not a 'good' story! Thanks for the link to the book list, and loving your storify list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had an awesome time! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had such a great time, though I thought I saw you mention something about someone bashing bloggers while you were there...but maybe I'm remembering wrong. :) I am curious about the highly recommended list of off the beaten path historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there was intense blogger love there by almost all the authors.

      My comment was abt interacting with someone who written a column in the spring complaining abt their blog tour. I had been on the tour (reviewed the book favorably, actually), commented on the column abt how it felt to read their comments after the fact, and set of a small squabble at the time. The author in question didn't know who I was or remember me, so nothing happened at the conference -- but it did make me unwilling to extend myself toward that author/seek out their panel.

      Do check out the list -- it's quite robust and v meaty!

      Delete
  13. Still coming down off the high. Go Team Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Team Awesome forever! (We obviously will need a reunion tour, er, panel, in 2015!)

      Delete
  14. SOOOO much fun! So glad to finally meet you Audra even if it took going to Florida to do it! I'm sure we will meet up again before the next one! I still have to write my summary post- too much has been going on for me to even get much blogging done at all!!!

    ReplyDelete