Sunday, June 16, 2013

Historical Novel Society 2013 Conference Panelist: Meet V. E. Ulett

I'm leaving this week for the Historical Novel Society Conference!  Here's one last Q&A from one of the panelists, historical novelist  V. E. Ulett's.  Last year, I read Ulett's historical novel Captain Blackwell's Prize which was a fun romp. (I'm eager for the sequel!)

You can learn more about Ulett at her website.  Be sure to check out the other Q&As at the #hns2013 tag.

How do you find the people and topics of your books?

Captain Blackwell’s Prize takes place during the time of the Napoleonic conflict, a popular era for historical and nautical fiction authors. There is a great deal of primary source material from this time period, with enough interesting characters and incidents to accommodate any number of fiction writers.

Where do you feel historical fiction is headed as a genre?

In all directions, it seems; literary (Hilary Mantel, Ken Follett), time-slip, multi-period, biblical, and alternate. I think there is room and readers for all of these sub-genres, historical fiction is popular and rightly so. People like to learn a little something as well as to be entertained.

What are your favorite reads?

My favorite writer is Patrick O’Brian. I love not only the Aubrey / Maturin series, but I’m a great fan of his non-fiction as well.

2 comments:

  1. Have a fantastic time! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you'll have fun! I look forward to hearing more about the panel you're speaking on.

    ReplyDelete