Sunday, May 26, 2013

Historical Novel Society 2013 Conference Panelist: Meet jay Dixon

In anticipation of the 2013 Historical Novel Society conference, I'm excited to share a Q&A with panelist jay Dixon, editor and author of The Romance Fiction of Mills & Boon 1909-1990s. You can learn more about Ms. Dixon by reading her panelist bio at the conference website (scroll down).

(You can check out the other Q&As with panelists via my hns2013 tag.)

What got you first interested in historical fiction?

I've been reading historical fiction since I was a child, but I suppose I first realised I was reading historical fiction when I discovered Georgette Heyer's novels at about the age of 11.

For you, what is the line between fiction and fact?

First define 'fact'! I suppose anything that can be corroborated by two other independent sources is a fact, and fiction is what you then make of it.

Do you have an anecdote about a reading or fan interaction you'd like to share?

Not an anecdote, but as an English editor I wish writers would get English/European titles correct - the basics are very simple, and can be found all over the web! And I get really annoyed when it is assumed a title can be refused by the heir, or bequeathed to whoever the current holder wishes. A title is a name, with strict rules of inheritance attached to it, not a piece of furniture!

Where do you feel historical fiction is headed as a genre?

Towards more popularity at all levels, from category romance to Booker Prize winner!

Is there an era/area that is your favorite to write about? How about to read?

I don't write, but to read: Regency and Edwardian.

Is there a writer, living or deceased, you would like to meet?

No - let their works speak for them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Audra - sorry I wasn't able to meet you at the recent HNS conference. I've written up a blog entry on Jay Dixon's presentation here: http://xuwriter.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/color-me-intrigued-history/ I wonder if you have a way to get in touch with her? I was hoping to get her okay on linking to her handout for the session.

    ReplyDelete