Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Interview with D.L. Bogdan

While I'm not a Tudor fan, I took a risk and picked up D.L. Bogdan's The Forgotten Queen, a novel of Henry VII's sister Margaret. To my surprise and delight, I enjoyed this novel and Bogdan's sympathetic take on this queen. I'm thrilled to share my interview with Bogdan, so read on to learn more about her, her book, and what she does when she's not writing. Be sure to enter the giveaway!

D.L. Bogdan
What was the plot of your very first piece of fiction?

The plot was based on a wall hanging at my grandma’s house of animals in winter. I wrote that they were conferring on the impending hunting season and were figuring out places to hide!

Do you have any writing rituals or routines?

I love to listen to classical music and scores from films as I write. I have an extensive playlist that is designated as my “Writing Mix.” It features Bach and Mozart, along with songs from the soundtracks of Dances with Wolves, Marie Antoinette, and Memoirs of a Geisha, among many more. Music like that inspires me as I think about the scenes before me; they accompany the movie in my mind and help bring them forth.

Was The Forgotten Queen the original title of your book?

It actually was. This was the first title that was mine and I’m very grateful Kensington went with it.

As you were writing The Forgotten Queen, was there a particular scene or character that surprised you?

Margaret herself often surprised me. She was a very complex woman, written off by history as flakey. Trying to understand some of her decisions proved challenging, but I found her far from flighty. She was vulnerable, used, and had no constant to cling to—most who advised her did so out of their own self-interest. There seemed very few who truly loved her. She was my first character who had to be her own constant throughout the novel.

According to your bio, you're a classically trained musician. Are there any similarities between performing music and writing a novel?

The emotion writing and playing music provoke make them twin outlets for me. There are very few things that can bring on emotion so quickly the way a powerful scene or song can. I think that’s why I listen to classical music and film scores while I write. I can’t even begin to picture one art form without the other.

When you’re not writing, what do you like to do?

I love to read (I suppose that’s a given!), play keys and sing, watch classic movies and inflict them on unsuspecting family members, long walks, swimming, and anything related to summer.

Read any good books recently?

I was recently introduced to Phillip K. Dick’s Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and found to my surprise that I couldn’t put it down.


*** *** ***

GIVEAWAY!

I'm thrilled to offer a copy of The Forgotten Queen to one lucky reader! To enter, fill out this brief form. Open to US and international readers, ends 2/8.

2 comments:

  1. I love that her choice of music informs the scenes in her books and that she nixes both of those elements when she writes. I would love to read this book, because as you've said, Katherine gets short shrift in the history of Henry's awfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although Margaret got on my nerves a bit at times, I felt the same for her as I do Marie Antoinette. It's so easy to judge them now in contemporary society when the society they were raised in was a completely different ball game. They were essentially taught to think of themselves the way they did and thinking of others' needs and wants was not a part of who they were. At all.
    I love reading interviews of writers and finding out little tidbits about how they write! I can't imagine listening to music while I write though...my brain wouldn't be able to handle the distraction. I'm not the best multi-tasker ;)

    ReplyDelete