Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday Reads and rainy days

It is my favorite kind of weekend -- allegedly quiet, possibly rainy -- so my reading queue is quite ambitious!

My girlfriends and I decided to have a bookish dinner together later this month, and after much discussion, we landed on Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal. My wife and our foodie friends are quite keen to replicate a 1940s, WWII, rationing-era dinner. Me, I'm just excited to dine by candlelight! So I'm starting this one over the weekend to get food ideas. I've also got Sarah Jio's Blackberry Winter -- my first time reading her but I know many, many folks loved her Violets of March. And finally, to shake things up, I'm also reading Ironskin by Tina Connolly (I love the cover!). What are you reading this weekend?

Thanks to all who weighed in last week on my blogging etiquette question.  My blogger friend decided to slightly alter her review: she mentioned that Author X is a pseudonym, but removed the author's identity -- and also added a note that she did so at the author's request.

Finally, one more request: I've heard that Feedburner is disappearing.  For folks that used Feedburner, what are you using instead?

8 comments:

  1. Can you elaborate on the details of a bookish dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would you like to know? I did a The Language of Flowers brunch in April or May, and loved it -- and so my very foodie minded friends have been corralled into being my pseudo-book club! We just started researching what to make but knowing this crowd, it will be as historically accurate as edible and possible, and probably weird. Susan Elia MacNeal told me on Twitter that Churchill didn't ration so I might channel my inner Prime Minister for my contribution! ;)

      Delete
  2. The dinner alone sounds good, but paired with book talk! I use feedburner for email subscriptions, not sure which service I'll turn to yet, but it'll likely be feedcat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm envious of your upcoming dinner. What a wonderful idea!

    As for your weekend reads, I hope you enjoy them and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good weekend to me. Have fun with the reading and the planning for the dinner with WWII rationing.

    Feedburner is ending from what I hear, I'm just using my own's site's feed, but using mail chimp for the email subscriptions...though it took me too long to realize I had to turn off feedburner's email subscription service in order for mail chimp to send it with the website's normal feed. LOL I've heard others are using Feedblitz, but that has a particular fee attached...not sure how much though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like so much fun! I love the idea of a bookish dinner. I wish I knew enough people who loved reading and lived nearby to do something like that. I think it would just be me, my mom, and my sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that Susan Elia MacNeal's book was very atmospheric and fun and now I'm deeply envious that you're attending a dinner party inspired by it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete