Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Reads and it's short

Oddly enough, this is like my Short Fiction Weekend -- my Friday/weekend reads this week are two short story collections.  The first is Love, in Theory: Ten Stories by E.J. Levy, which, I'll be honest, I'm a bit nervous about because one of the themes is adultery, and we know what a baby I am about that. The other collection is Enchantment: New and Selected Stories by Thaisa Frank which I'm very excited about -- I adored Frank's novel, Heidegger's Glasses, and I'm participating in a group read/discussion of stories from Enchantment, hosted by Serena at Savvy Verse & Wit.

What are you reading this weekend?

9 comments:

  1. I just got Love, in Theory this week and can't wait to start it. I think it's a lovely book, aesthetically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the story I was feeling most wangsty about -- lesbian falls for married male professor -- and it was actually way better than I expected -- I mean, the story and writing was great, and what happened was better than what I anticipated -- so now I'm rather excited for this one.

      Delete
  2. Both of those collections sound great. I just picked up my first RIP read from the library: The Bride Wore Black. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looooove the title -- it's still too sunny here for me to imagine my RIP reads -- gotta wait until it is gray and cold and gross! ;)

      Delete
  3. Enjoy! (Incidentally I rather like Enchantment's cover). I'll likely be finishing a non-fiction and starting one of those novellas we spoke about on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looove the cover for it -- isn't it marvelous? Can't wait to see what you think of your novellas, which ever one you end up reading.

      Delete
  4. I am pretty excited - also nervous! - for the discussion over at Savvy Verse & Wit! I plan to jump into it on Sunday during a long car ride - can't wait to see what you make of it, Audra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait for the discussion on Sept. 18! I finished up Beautiful Lies and have to read The Thirteenth Tale for book club this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy short stories at times, but haven't read any this year. This week I've got a slew of books to finish, as I haven't been reading at my usual speed for some time now!

    ReplyDelete