Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Reads and I'm starting my staycation...

I have the good fortune of a metric ton of vacation days so I'm taking some time off for a little stay-at-home vacation! I plan, understandably, to fill my days with straight-up reading, a fringe of reviewing, and a ton of laying around and reading. (Did I say that already?)

I'm wading through four books at the moment because I can't commit: The Siren of Paris (historical novel, WWII, set in Paris); The Twelve Rooms of the Nile (historical novel, 1850, Nile River, fictitious meeting of Florence Nightingale and Gustave Flaubert!); A Case for Solomon: Bobby Dunbar and the Kidnapping That Haunted a Nation (non-fiction, 1912, a kidnapped boy is later claimed by two different set of parents); and Tarzan of the Apes (vintage fic, 1880s, monied son is raised by apes).

What are you planning to read this weekend?  Any opinions on these reads?

12 comments:

  1. That is quite a variety of books! I'm reading The Roots of the Olive Tree. Enjoy your staycation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I like the title! I'll have to look for that one!

      Delete
  2. I'm having a hard time committing to any one book right now myself! My current stack is pretty eclectic: Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South (for a readalong); Heather Barbieri's The Cottage on Glass Beach; and Elise Allen's Populazzi. Concentrating on Gaskell at the moment, though!

    Sometimes some rest and relaxation at home is even better than a jam-packed trip! I often return from vacations wishing I had time to just hang around and read. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- I'm always cranky if I'm doing too much running around and not getting enough down time so I'm thrilled to just get to read.

      North and South has long been on my TBR -- are you enjoying it?

      Delete
  3. Looks like you have some great reading ahead. I have to read Ashes by Ilsa Bick for book club and finish up the Susan Dormady Eisenberg book I have, The Voice I Just Heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my plans over the break is to try to organize a real life book club for myself -- I'm so envious of everyone else and their book clubs!

      Delete
  4. I have been staycationing for four weeks now and have two left before the start of the new academic year. I still have lots of reading to do!

    I'm very interested in The Twelve Rooms of the Nile, I'll be looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you that you are taking a staycation/vacation! You sure do deserve it, Audra. Have fun reading and relaxing - you're starting off on the right path for sure! I think the "...Nile" and "...Solomon" sound fascinating but I hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am torn about the book about flaubert audra. I picked it up but i am unsure. I will be interested in your review. Reading where'd you go bernadette. Its great fun and has more substance than one would think. Xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds lovely. I'm reading The Siren of Paris right now too. Are you doing the blog tour?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds a perfect plan. Like the sound of the Nile book and the Paris book as well.

    ReplyDelete