Thursday, June 14, 2012

Love, Fiercely by Jean Zimmerman

Title: Love, Fiercely: A Gilded Age Romance
Author: Jean Zimmerman

Genre: Non-Fiction (Biography / 1890s / Belle Epoque / New York City / New York High Society / John Singer Sargent / Art Critique / Chicago World's Fair)
Publisher/Publication Date: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (3/13/2012)
Source: The publisher.

Rating: Liked.
Did I finish?: I did -- I read this one like I do novels, gulping huge chunks at a time.
One-sentence summary: A biography of a marriage between two passionate, learned, and philanthropic members of New York City's glittering society.
Reading Challenges: Dewey Decimal

Do I like the cover?: I adore it -- I'm a huge Sargent fan, so it was guaranteed I'd love it for that alone; but I also enjoy the off-center layout and gold trim along the edges.

I'm reminded of...: Philip Herring, Molly Peacock

First line: I saw her for the first time in a work of art.

Is... this the kind of book my wife and I treasure because it makes for great vacation planning?: YES. Zimmerman references many specific addresses and locales, which means the next time my wife and I go to NYC, we're hitting up these places.

Did... I genuinely like Newton and Edith?: YES. Zimmerman has the novelist's skill in making human this rather distant, slightly unclear figures, and I really wanted Newton and Edith as my besties.

Buy, Borrow, or Avoid?: Borrow or buy -- this is a wonderfully readable biography about a fascinating couple from Wharton's glittering New York City.

Why did I get this book?: I saw 'Gilded Age' and couldn't resist.

Review: Shamefully, I grabbed this book on the title and cover alone, and I really had no idea what I was getting into. Happily, this turned out to be a stellar read, engrossing as a novel and just as moving.

Jean Zimmerman, while researching iconography and maps of Manhattan, came across Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes, a passionate collector, reformer, and scion of Gilded Age New York City. Initially interested in him, she became fascinated by his wife, Edith Minturn, upon seeing their massive portrait by John Singer Sargent. This book came out of her curiosity about the couple.

Both Newton and Edith came from monied New York families; both were committed to social reform. Edith came from a family of beauties and was renown for her evocative expressions and stature. She was the model for Big Mary, the colossus created for the Chicago World's Fair. Newton was a brilliant architect consumed with desire to provide healthy, habitable house for the poor. Their odd courtship and devoted marriage had the elements of fiction -- such happiness and such sadness -- and I immediately fell for both of them.

In many ways, this is a discussion of an era as much as a biography of two personalities. Zimmerman's sections on art -- and the wealthy's relationship with the funding, creation, participation, and enjoyment of art -- was so eye-opening and relevatory. For example, I didn't realize it was common in the 1890s for art that was commissioned -- like portraits -- to spend a year being displayed in traveling galleries before going to live with the respective owners. Sargent's portrait of Edith and Newton was shocking -- they wore their own street clothes rather than one of his costumes, and Edith's pose is aggressive rather than demure -- and Zimmerman provides wonderful context so we understand just how daring Newton and Edith were.

This couple didn't stop at art when it came to shaking things up, but I'm rather hesitant to list details because it feels a bit spoiler-ish!

My only complaint, and this is me being wicked nit-picky, is that Edith's side of the marriage felt a bit thin to me. It's clear Newton has more ephemera preserved than his wife and as a result, Zimmerman was able to draw on his feelings and thoughts more than Edith. There were moments when Zimmerman made a pronouncement about Edith that left me wondering, 'Is that really what she felt?' and yet, I appreciated her humanizing of these two. It resonated for me and made me go from 'like' to 'love' with this biography. (You can read an excerpt via my Teaser Tuesday to get a sense of the writing style.)

I finished this book with the moody satisfaction I get from a good novel; I missed Newton and Edith, and I wanted more time with them.

*** *** ***

GIVEAWAY!

I'm thrilled to offer a copy of Love, Fiercely to TWO lucky readers, thanks to the publisher! To enter, fill out this brief form. Open to US/Canadian readers, ends 6/29.


26 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by the Gilded Age and New York City, so this sounds like a match made in literary heaven to me! Art really interests me, too, so I think this has to go on the ol' wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this as it is loaded with NYC trivia -- both Gilded Age and earlier as Newton was obsessed with preserving the various 'images' of NYC. My wife and I are going to use this book for our next NYC trip -- there are so many places I want to check out now!

      Delete
  2. This one sounds delish! I love that you gulped it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't read quite like a novel, but it had ambiance, mood, and very human figures -- I couldn't put this book down!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the perfect read for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously -- it couldn't have been any more 'me'!

      Delete
  4. I'm also generally sold on the 'Gilded Age' and NYC descriptions so this book sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke -- it is so fabu. You'll love it, I hope -- tons of fantastic trivia abt the city and life in the Gilded Age.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, I just finished this author's upcoming novel, The Orphanmaster, and didn't realize until I was entering the giveaway that this is by the same person...if the historical detail and atmosphere is as well-done as it was in The Orphanmaster, then I'll enjoy this book!

    Thanks for the review and giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie -- The Orphanmaster is her first novel and if this book is any indicator of the quality of her non-fic, I'm a total fangirl now. I've started Orphanmaster and I love it -- it's v historical in a way I like. This book made me wish it was a novel -- I wanted more ... I don't know what the word is ... imagination, I guess, about Newton and Edith and their motivations, but as a biography, it's fascinating and readable as is.

      Delete
  6. I pick based on cover alone all the time at the library and the results are a mixed bag - sounds like you got lucky though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love browsing the library that way -- in this case, I got VERY lucky!

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of this couple but they sound just fascinating and who can resist a Gilded Age story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen -- I hadn't either and I was delighted to learn that they were fascinating and really easy to like -- it was such a great book -- my kind of surprise!

      Delete
  8. Dunno if it's for me, but nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was -- things I didn't even know I cared about I found fascinating here!

      Delete
  10. Great review! Jean Zimmerman's research is so extensively thorough. I loved her debut novel The Orphanmaster, and I can't wait to read Love, Fiercely...is there any other way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving The Orphanmaster -- I wondered if her research abt Newton led to the novel (or perhaps it was the other way around) -- there's a deep love for early NYC in both these books!

      Delete
  11. Hey audra! I am just starting orphan masters son.. Wow it is unbelievably good!! I am going to read gilded age based both on this great novel and your equally great review. Cya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy, enjoy -- it's been a good summer so far for reading, I feel like!!

      Delete
  12. Gilded Age, NYC, well done researched, non-fiction, bio...I'm in all the way...sounds sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! It is as good as it sounds, I swear! :)

      Delete
  13. Love the cover. Love the topic. This book sounds really really great. I hadn't seen this one before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Audra, thanks for your great links in to Your Favourite Biographies. Cheers

    ReplyDelete