Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Reads and leaving town...

Sadly, I won't be reading much this weekend -- or the next nine days or so -- as I'm off to a major work conference. It's in (very) sunny Phoenix, AZ which will be a welcome change from wet, gray, rainy, dreary Boston!

I'm very excited, even though I will be so insanely busy I won't do much other than run around with a fringe of sleeping. Of course, even if I think I can't read, I'm still bringing books! (Because if there's a free moment, I'm diving in!) Among the many, many books on my e-reader are these, which I plan on reviewing upon my return: D.B. Jackson's Thieftaker (Colonial American hist fic meets wizards), Susan Fales-Hill's Imperfect Bliss (Jane Austen meets The Bachelorette, according to the book blurb), and Emily Jeanne Miller's Brand New Human Being (contemp novel, man walks in on wife w/another man, takes their kid, leaves, finds self, etc.).

Sadly, I will be very absent here -- I have some reviews scheduled but won't be online to visit and comment -- my apologies! I'll make up for it when I'm back in town. I hope everyone has a lovely reading time -- tell me what you're going to be reading so I can be very envious!

15 comments:

  1. have a great time! :) i hope the conference goes well. i always love traveling for work even if there isn't much time to play tourist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie -- I love eating out so that's my fav part of business travel! I'm sorry I'm missing your event at the bookstore and that I never followed up! Forgive me -- perhaps another time!

      Delete
  2. I was going to say have a great time but Carl always says traveling for work is no fun. I hope you make the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do love eating out so that will make up for some of the 'hardship' of working on the road! :)

      Delete
  3. Holy cow! Hope you pack sunscreen! :--) If you have a free night for dinner, Pizzeria Bianco on East Adams St. is supposed to be one of the top in the country (obviously judges aren't from Chicago....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we've got sunblock in bulk! Thank you for the restaurant recommendation -- I love finding new places to dine at!

      Delete
  4. Have a really wonderful trip, Audra. If you get a chance, eat at our favorite Phoenix local hangout: Chino Bandito! Cheap, fun, and really good food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col -- thank you for the rec -- I love the name already. My wife has never been to AZ so I'm really excited to show her the fabu local cuisine. (And we both love cheap eats!)

      Delete
  5. I hope all goes well at your conference. Have a good time and don't stress too much. I'll be reading Flesh this weekend by Khanh Ha, and I have my monthly book club meeting with Anna and her daughter and some others -- we're talking about Selznick's Wonderstruck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try to have some fun. I have a feeling Boston weather is going to be perfect while u r gone though:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Work trips aren't always fun, but I hope you have a goodtime when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great trip! I'm getting ready to go to California for a conference and will be in the same boat. Enjoy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are staying cool. ( A/C or reading by the pool). Try FEZ in Downtown Phoenix. 3815 N. Central. My son and daughter-in-law's all time favorite place. POSH but casual, and yummy food with a Mediterranean flair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, enjoy the trip! I have Brand New Human Being to read, soon, as well.

    ReplyDelete