Saturday, June 2, 2012

Book Brunch: The Language of Flowers

This post is nearly four weeks late due to life being crazy and whatnot, but I finally have time to share the awesomeness of my The Language of Flowers-inspired book brunch!

Motivated by a) my love of brunch, b) my friends who love brunch, c) Random House's Pinterest page, From the Page to the Plate: The Language of Flowers, and d) never turning down a good reason to have mimosas, I decided to have a The Language of Flowers-inspired brunch one weekend in May.

Brunch was tasty and albeit a bit slapdash, in that it was too early for me to cook and decorate and be clean, all at the same time. Still, I managed: there were mimosas and sangria, coffee (caffeine clearly needed!), Trader Joe's marvelous flatbread pizza, cheese and crackers, bagels and cream cheese, fresh fruit, and chocolate-covered figs.  No one leaves my house hungry!

Despite teasing me about my ambitious plans, my wife went nuts buying me flowers -- and she even scanned the flower dictionary ahead of time in hopes of being clever.  She selected, among other things, irises to indicate she had a message for me, tulips to declare her love, and white hyacinths for beauty. Well done, sweetheart! 

While most of the invitees hadn't read Diffenbaugh's novel, we still had plenty to talk about, especially the premise and the unique theme of flowers-as-messengers.  I tried to be clever and give everyone a little place card with a flower that represented a trait of theirs I liked, which provoked some conversation almost immediately. 

I'm very excited to do this again (reason ten thousand and eleven why I need to find a local book club!) and I think I'm going to try in July.  The only challenge: what book would make the most appealing brunch theme?  (Feel free to offer your ideas!)

16 comments:

  1. I love what you all did, especially with the place cards! Well, hmmm, book for brunch theme - there's always The Lifeboat - you could all then vote on which person to prepare for brunch so to speak! OH THAT WAS TERRIBLE! No, I'm afraid I can't come up with any useable ideas! :--)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill -- I just sputtered water everywhere -- that's hilarious! I'm sharing your suggestion with my friends who will all appreciate that!! The place cards were fun -- I used flower clipart and index cards (it was a bit too homemade for me to proudly share with a picture) but everyone enjoyed it, I think!

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea! I love that your wife bought you such thoughtful flowers. My mind is blank when it comes to books with a brunch theme, but I'm sure there are plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: I know, my wife is just too-cute-for-words. She's a keeper! I'm waffling over a bunch of historical novels -- the new Juliet Grey for a French-themed brunch, or one of the numerous Gilded-Age-in-New-York ones...it's really a matter of how ambitious I feel!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! I also really, really liked the book. Thanks for sharing all of this in photos. Lucky you, to have such a sweet wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's such a doll about my blogging stuff -- it makes it all so worth it. I just loved doing this -- I can't wait to do it again!

      Delete
  4. Audra, I just noticed when scrolling down that my husband's edition of Moby-Dick is on one of your shelves. I don't' see that edition very often, so it really jumped out at me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent about five years seeking out that specific edition -- my wife is a huge Moby-Dick fan and I just loved everything about that edition when I saw it at the library. After searching East-to-West (from The Strand in NYC to Powell's in Portland, OR), I found our copy at a small bookstore in Nantucket!

      Delete
  5. Love this idea! What a great way to celebrate this book (which I literally just finished reading last night)... I felt like along with flowers, the characters in this book were always talking about food, so brunch seems like the perfect way to celebrate. And I love that your wife tried her hand at sending you a message using the language of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of that book, I think, was about finding comfort (in addition to connecting), things that flowers and food do very well -- really, that book just gave me so much to chew over (I still need to do my review!). Just setting up this brunch really provoked great convos with friends (and my wife) on communicating and it was fun to see everyone run away with the theme! (My wife is just so cute, it kills me!)

      Delete
  6. I'm really enjoying your blog. I'll have to check this book out. Eating and reading just go together with me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Great idea...maybe the school of essential ingredients or deep dish would be good brunch type books. Good luck finding a book club...my friend Anna and I have created three different ones, and this last one is the one that has kept going longest...so I really am not one to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a fun idea! I have a special Language of Flowers post coming up (I'm running, er, about six months behind), too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun, and your wife is very sweet! I love the idea of conveying messages with flowers, though I've never attempted it myself. The idea of a book-themed brunch totally works for me, though... like I need any excuse to eat, chat with friends or enjoy copious amounts of caffeine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so sweet! I love this whole idea and what a sweet other half you have. :)

    Brunch books? I'm not sure, but I'm leaning toward Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool. I love this idea! And that's such a great book to brunch to. :)

    ReplyDelete