Friday, May 18, 2012

Written In the Ashes by K. Hollan Van Zandt

Title: Written In the Ashes
Author: K. Hollan Van Zandt

Genre: Fiction (Historical / Ancient Egypt / 4th Century / Religious Conflict / Library of Alexandria)
Publisher/Publication Date: Balboa Press (7/2011)
Source: Premier Virtual Author Book Tours

Rating: Liked.
Did I finish?: I did -- for a chunkster, this book reads fast!
One-sentence summary: The story of a slave girl who finds fame, fortune, danger, love, and loss in ancient Egypt.
Reading Challenges: E-book, Historical Fiction

Do I like the cover?: I do -- although I'm reminded a tiny bit of the decor from Cheesecake Factory. (Which leads me to a total unrelated rant: why is the decorative theme of Cheesecake Factory Egyptian-y?!)

I'm reminded of...: Marion Zimmer Bradley,

First line: All trees hold secrets.

Did... I do a double take when I saw the author thanked Johnny Depp in her acknowledgements?: YES. I don't know if she means that Johnny Depp but wow!

Do... I love the secret freebies for those who've got the book?: YES. The author has a web section of freebies relating to the novel for those who have an ISBN and want more. Fun!

Did... I love the extras in the book: YES. From the map, glossary, and epilogue, this book is fully loaded.

Buy, Borrow, or Avoid?: Borrow or buy -- this is an epic historical that reads quickly.

Why did I get this book?: Ancient Egypt!

Review: A dramatic, plot-filled historical set in Alexandria Egypt in the 4th century, this novel follows Hannah, a Jewish goat herder who is kidnapped and sold as a slave in Alexandria. She's purchased on a whim but finds herself in the home of a vintner and alchemist who is friends with the infamous Hypatia, celebrated thinker and scholar. In this household, she's educated and encouraged to use her magnificent singing voice to become a bard of sorts, and it is her connection with Hypatia and the Library of Alexandria that leads her into further drama, adventure, and torment.

I'm not sure that summary even does this book justice, but I tried! At times, there might have been just a little too much plot for my tastes -- this had the feel of a Victorian potboiler in some ways, with one over-the-top turn after another -- and yet, the story didn't strain credulity. This is the tale of a woman growing up; the story of a slave who becomes greater than her bond; a woman at the crossroads of history, in a place where religion and science, history and politics all collided.

The cast is rather big for my tastes, but I found everyone pretty easy to know -- again, Van Zandt doesn't stint on details and everyone felt bigger than life. While I found our heroine Hannah a bit too perfect at the start of the novel -- she's exceptionally beautiful, regal in stature despite being a slave, gifted with a gorgeous voice, blue-eyed and fair skinned -- she grew on me as a character, and I found her reputation was warranted. She was smart, clever, a bit impetuous, and talented, and she behaved with courage and wisdom as the novel progressed. In the end, I wanted her as my friend.

Van Zandt's writing style reads easily; she describes everything, from food to clothes to scenery, and it's impossible not to feel immersed in ancient Alexandria. She doesn't shy away, either, from the grim reality of being a female slave, so FYI for those of you who don't like sexual violence. I was uncomfortable, but unsurprised. In the Epilogue, Van Zandt explains her rationale for the anachronistic decisions she made with the story and I appreciated that -- she aged Hannah to twenty rather than the more likely thirteen at the start of the novel -- and she played fast and loose a bit with history and myth. Since I'm not a well-versed in Egyptian history, this didn't bother me, but I don't know how someone who is wedded to the era will feel. For me, Van Zandt's choices worked with the story as she told it.

At 400+ pages this is an epic adventure, and Van Zandt has said she's planning two more books. However, this book ends very neatly, no cliff hanger to make you gnash your teeth, and I think it stands alone marvelously. Still, I'm looking forward to Van Zandt's next venture.

*** *** ***

GIVEAWAY!

I'm thrilled to offer a copy of Written in the Ashes. To enter, fill out this brief form. Open to US and international readers. US readers can pick a paperback or e-book; international readers receive an e-book. Ends 6/1.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the giveaway! I hope I win >,,< I love to read eyptoloy; myths etc. I love too when there are a lot of extras in a book :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! This had great extras -- it was a treat to read!

      Delete
  2. Oh oh, this will not end well for everyone involved. ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking part in the tour. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, you said the magic words (Marion Zimmer Bradley--I'm such a sucker)! So frequently, historical fiction can strain credulity (as you note). It takes skill to make everyone seem larger-than-life in a believable, enjoyable way. Glad this author pulled it off so elegantly!

    Also, yes: what's with the Cheescake Factory's decor? ;)

    --Tracelina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracelina -- I know, I love MZB's stuff -- magical, epic -- so delightful. And what does Cheesecake Factory and Egypt have to do with each other?! So baffling!

      Delete
  5. This sounds very interesting and I haven't read anything set in Egypt in this era. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ancient era hist fic -- not sure why, but when it's done well, it sweeps me away!

      Delete
  6. This one sounds so interesting. I'm fascinated by ancient historical fiction, so I'll put this one on my list. I hope to start with Michelle Moran's ancient Egyptian titles soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love historical fiction. I've never read a novel that takes place in Egypt. This novel sounds like a great place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the giveaway.
    mtakala1 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that this is set in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete