Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Miss Fuller by April Bernard

Title: Miss Fuller
Author: April Bernard

Genre: Fiction (Historical / 1850 / New England / Transcendentalists / Marriage / Friendship)
Publisher/Publication Date: Steerforth Press (4/3/2012)
Source: The publisher.

Rating: Loved.
Did I finish?: I did -- I even reread it to savor the language!
One-sentence summary: The life of 19th-century American feminist, Margaret Fuller, as seen through an unsent letter after her tragic death.
Reading Challenges: Historical Fiction

Do I like the cover?: I do -- it captures two elements of the novel rather uniquely!

I'm reminded of...: A.S. Byatt, Anne Carson, Ellen Feldman, Jeanette Winterson

First line: News of the wreck made everyone want to be up and going, doing something, talking, moving, to keep the knowledge from puddling and festering.

Am... I super excited to see the author at her reading this week?: YES. Expect another fangirl photo with me grinning like an idiot!

Did... I kind of hate those crotchety Transcendentalists for being jerks?: YES. I'm not an Emerson or Hawthorne fan anyway, but this book confirmed my irrational dislike for them!

Buy, Borrow, or Avoid?: Borrow or buy -- this is a lovely, moving, wonderful historical novel about a forgotten American figure.

Why did I get this book?: I'm a Margaret Fuller fangirl.

Review: Margaret Fuller might be one of the most famous American women you've never heard of; I really learned of her when I read The Margaret-Ghost by Barbara Novak. Since then, I've been pretty hot for her, and so I was over-the-moon to learn about a new novel about her and her life.

April Bernard's novel didn't disappoint, and I don't think one needs to be familiar with Fuller to appreciate and enjoy this story. Set in 1850, the novel opens with Fuller's tragic death -- a shipwreck that claimed her as well as her husband and son -- and Henry David Thoreau combing the beach for their bodies and their effects. His younger sister, Anne, muses on Miss Fuller and her legacy, her thinking, her life. But a good portion of the novel is an unsent letter from Margaret Fuller to Sophia Hawthorne, Nathaniel Hawthorne's wife, and it shows us Fuller's real fears, passion, and blind admiration for those in her life.

In some ways, the novel is less about Fuller than about the people around her, the men and women she called friends and loved like family, and the uncomfortably cold way (to me) they dissected Fuller and her life. This is a novel about reputation, too -- at least, that's something I took away. As Melanie Benjamin's Alice I Have Been made so clear for me, Fuller has to be accountable to the ludicrous judgments of the men around her. Her wisdom is tied in to her 'purity', and her normal, reasonable, understandable choices become the fodder with which the people she idolizes disparage her.

That the author is also a poet is no surprise, as there's a really lovely sense of language here, neither heavy nor ethereal. I'm reminded of other poetic novelists, like Anne Carson, and master wordsmiths like Ellen Feldmen and A.S. Byatt.

That was the clear end, the major crashing chord, of the essay. Although Miss Fuller threw in a bad poem treacled with high sentiments to close, Anne held the phrase a complete life of its kind and knew she would not forget it.

The awkward, herky-jerky force of the essay, rather like an electric eel, twisting, brilliant, sparkling -- that, and the heat-lightening flashing and filling the window-panes -- kept her awake until dawn. (p58)

This is a smart, quiet novel that provoked righteous indignation in me -- and inspired me to look up Bernard's other works. Language lovers, feminists, historical fiction fans, and anyone who enjoys learning about long forgotten historical figures will enjoy this slim novel. (I reread it about a week after finishing -- I couldn't help myself!)

11 comments:

  1. Dunno if I have heard about her before either, but now I have ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely worth googling -- fascinating woman!

      Delete
  2. I love it when an author uses poetic language and imagery in a novel, so you have definitely perked up my ears with this one; and the quotes you used were fantastic! I don't know much about Fuller, but this might be a great book to help me get acquainted with her. Fantastic review today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I think you'd love this one -- moving, deep, lovely, sad -- and I think it's a wonderful snapshot of the Transcendentalists in Concord -- certainly affirmed my opinion that a few of them were jerks! ;)

      Delete
  3. Bernard is completly new to me, I'll have to check out some of her books. This one definately sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was new-to-me, too, but she has one novel out and I think four or five volumes of poetry -- am very glad to learn that as I loved this book so much!

      Delete
  4. I teach Fuller in my American Lit class, and I've always been fascinated by her. I had no idea there was a novel out about her life. I would love to read this one. Thanks so much for reviewing it; otherwise, I may not have come across it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I loved you for a reason!! That's awesome! I only came across this novel by accident -- saw a mention of it in some New England Indie Booksellers Facebook comment, in passing, which lead me on a wild chase to find the publisher so I could get my hands on this one. And it was worth the effort -- fabulously good.

      Delete
  5. It must be good if you re-read it so soon after finishing it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great read for anyone who's every been intrigued or inspired by the transcendentalists - so glad to hear of it!

    (ooh, as a total aside, I see you have Language of Flowers on your TBR right over there <- just finished it today! can't wait to hear what you think.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds absolutely fabulous. Historical fiction on feminism? I'm sold! I can't wait to hear your take on the seeing the author!

    ReplyDelete