Friday, March 23, 2012

Interview with M.J. Rose

Earlier this week I reviewed the fun reincarnation thriller The Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. Rose. I'm thrilled to share my interview with Ms. Rose, so read on to learn more about her, her writing, and what she does when she's not writing.

What was the plot of your very first piece of fiction?

It was a story about a woman who sued several movie companies for perpetrating a myth that romance, as portrayed in film, is damaging to our emotional health.

Do you have any writing rituals or routines?

Yes I do. I immerse myself in books relating to the time period of my book and I make a journal for the main character filling it with things that matter to him or her and ideas . And then I buy something important that belongs to my main character. I spend at least 3 months on the journal before I start to write. I think of it as procrastinating my way into writing the novel.

Was The Book of Lost Fragrances the original title of your book?

No. I had a really boring title! Then one day I was having lunch with my agent and talking about the book. I described the part where one of the characters goes looking for a book of lost fragrances and he stopped me dead sentence and told me that I’d just said the title.

As you were writing The Book of Lost Fragrances, was there a particular scene or character that surprised you?

Yes, actually quite a few, but most of all Marie Genevieve who lived in France at the time of the French Revolution. She kept doing things I didn’t expect her to do. Especially at the end.

Is there a particular scent or fragrance that you associate with your time writing this novel?

BLUE LOTUS & WILD GRASS candles by Joya. And BOIS DE ROSE & CEDAR LEAF candles also by Joya. I burned these constantly while writing and their scents infuse the pages of the novel. Also Mitsouko vintage perfume by Guerlain, Vol de Nuit vintage perfume by Guerlain, and Turquoise perfume by Olivier Durbano.

When you’re not writing, what do you like to do?

Visit museums, go to movies, read, travel, take walks, be by the water, shop (of course), talk on the phone (too much) see friends, go out to dinner.

Read any good books recently?

Always. The Murder’s Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers. The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman. The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry. Cheri by Colette. The Affair by Lee Child. The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.

*** *** ***

My thanks to Ms. Rose for her time and answers. Check out the other blogs on the tour for reviews and guest posts!

3 comments:

  1. Ms. Rose sounds like a very creative and interesting person, and I am looking forward to reading the book. I love that the first piece of fiction that she wrote had such flair, and I wonder if she will ever publish it! Thanks for the great interview today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love M.J. Rose! This is my favorite book in the series and I love how the title came out of her at a lunch with her agent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice interview :)
    I have to check out those good books she has read

    ReplyDelete