Wednesday, February 22, 2012

When A Man Marries by Mary Roberts Rinehart

Title: When A Man Marries
Author: Mary Roberts Rinehart

Genre: Fiction (1910s / Socialite / Domestic Comedy / Secret Identity / Romance)
Publisher/Publication Date: Legacy Vintage Collection (2/14/2012)
Source: The publisher

Rating: Loved!
Did I finish?: Yes, I inhaled this one.
One-sentence summary: Socialite Kit McNair is convinced to play the wife of a rich friend when his fashionable dinner party is crashed by his even richer aunt and much drama ensues.
Reading Challenges: E-books

Do I like the cover?: I do -- it's rather sweet, which matches the mood of the novel, and hints at a scene...sort of.

I'm reminded of...: F. Scott Fitzgerald, Janet Mullany

First line: When the dreadful thing occurred that night, everyone turned on me.

Did... I develop a hot crush on both our narrator, Kit, and the object of her love/hate, Tom Harbison?: YES. Both were charming and dramatic and intense and fun and romantic and silly and totally hot (in my mind's eye).

Did... I have 97 bookmarks out of 154 pages of text?: YES. Honestly, every page had a line that was pure gold. See my Teaser Tuesday for a sample of Rinehart's sharp, witty, playful prose!

Did... I get in to a giggle fit so bad while on the subway that I had to pretend I was coughing to keep from looking like a maniac?: YES, true story.

Buy, Borrow, or Avoid?: Buy, buy, buy -- this edition is $1.49 and includes a massive gallery of images to help visualize the era -- super fun!

Why did I get this book?: I love vintage fiction, especially early 20th century stuff, and I'm a sucker for a socialite!

Review: I adored this book. Everything about it: the writing style, the characters, the ludicrous plot, and frenetic mix of romance, slapstick comedy, and mystery. Written in 1910, this novel features a very broad and comedic portrait of New York society, and it was a delicious escapist read for the weekend.

I'm going to try to describe the plot. Bear with me, because I know how over-the-top it sounds, and it is, but it's also hilarious and amazing and fun. The story is told by Kit McNair, a New York socialite who is rather indignant about her treatment at the hands of her friends following a trying week. The drama begins when her friend and former amour Jim Wilson has a dinner party with other fashionable, rich friends, which is crashed by his rich and old-fashioned Aunt Selina. Aunt Selina is unaware that Jim has divorced, and since she hadn't met his ex-wife Bella, Jim convinces Kit to pretend to be his wife. As if that challenge isn't daunting enough, things really get wild when Jim's butler is discovered to have small pox, the city quarantines the house for a week, and Jim's ex-wife Bella breaks in to the house to steal away Jim's butler, unaware of the quarantine. Amidst all that, there are robberies, a cop discovered sleeping in the basement, reporters stalking the house, and flirtations and hurt feelings galore.

This sounds messy, I know, but Rinehart manages these wildly diverse threads beautifully. Her characters are wry, funny, sarcastic, rude, snobby, ridiculous, and appealing. As a snapshot of Edwardian New York City, it can't be beat, and Rinehart's writing conveys so much in so little. Her characters are clearly the precursors to the '20s flapper era, and I loved this snapshot of early 20th century New York society.

This e-book edition was a treat as well: for one thing, the formatting was great. I love Project Gutenberg and Google Books for public domain reads, but the files don't always display right in my ereader -- in this edition, there's no weird characters or formatting, and the font size was great without my needing to zoom in on anything. There's an extensive gallery of vintage images to help give the reader a sense of the era (which I appreciated, because I did keep envisioning folks as flappers and not Edwardian-ish socialites).

I must disclose that I've started writing content for The Vintage Reader, the blog associated with the Legacy Vintage Collection, but that has in no way affected my opinion of this book. If anything, this book made me more excited about Legacy Vintage's future offerings as I adore vintage fiction and am thrilled to see these forgotten gems available to readers.

*** *** ***

GIVEAWAY!

The publisher has kindly offered a copy of When a Man Marries e-book (epub or Kindle format) to one lucky reader! To enter, fill out this brief form. Open to US/international readers, ends 3/9.

25 comments:

  1. Ooh it is short and from olden times. That is excellent. Totally entering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It was just awesome beyond words, and what I needed since I've had an insane week and a half of work!

      Delete
  2. I just downloaded this one after reading your wonderful review. I have been looking for something light and frothy and this sounds like just the ticket. Thanks for the enticing review, and for getting me so eager about reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I think you'll love this one -- it's such a fun romp!

      Delete
  3. o_O that is a lot of bookmarks for such a short book. But I am glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally, every page had a gem of a sentence. Such a fun book!

      Delete
  4. This sounds beyond cute. I love that there are images to go with it. You sound like me with all the bookmarkings in a book I like! (I use stickies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- I'm a stickie addict, too -- I love noting favorite passages. 'Beyond cute' is exactly right!

      Delete
  5. Great review. I'll definitely put this one on my to be read list :-) I'll be starting To Have and To Hold, another of the Legacy Vintage collection, later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Have and To Hold looks wicked fun -- can't wait to see what you think of it!

      Delete
  6. Love vintage fiction and have been finding the mysteries I've been reading for the VM Challenge great fun. Have added this one to my list......love the cover and the thought of illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you will soooo enjoy this one! It's adorable and fun -- the mystery is kind of secondary to the rest of the story, but the characters are so fun, I didn't mind!

      Delete
    2. Yea! I'm going to go buy it now. Sounds so fun!

      Delete
  7. Love this review. I especially like this bit: "I have 97 bookmarks out of 154 pages of text" You keep making my tbr list grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena -- it is soooooooooo worth it!

      Delete
  8. Hmm -- considering the cover never would have wooed me, I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one so much! Your enthusiasm is contagious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of blew my mind to have this sort of heroine -- I'm sure she was a bit of a pill for 1910 audiences but Rinehart was a successful novelist so people enjoyed her characters. The heroine felt so modern -- she could have been any of my sillier acquaintances!

      Delete
  9. wow sounds really good. i like the time period, so i will have to look into this one. thank you for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great look in to 1910 life!

      Delete
  10. This book sounds wonderful! I am a fan of New York Society in the early 1900s and your review already has me laughing! Poor Jim and Kit having to pretend infront of Aunt Selina for an entire week, ack! And Bella stealing away the butler who caused the week-long 'sentenc', priceless! The idea and the writing style remind me of somethng but I cannot think what. I know I want to read this and will adore it. I love the kind of writing like that in your teaser and I'm thrilled you reviewed this book! I also love that you have a crush on Kit and Tom...fantastic!

    I don't have an e-reader yet so I'm hoping this comes in hard copy otherwise I might just be getting myself an e-reader!

    Congratulations on writing for The Vintage Reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy -- This book was a riot -- just marvelous, a real treat! I do hope you get it, physical or e, because I think you'd adore this one. Honestly, I could reread it right now just to get back that flavor and mood -- it was SO.GOOD.!

      Delete
  11. Haven't read one of her books in ages. What a great giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only read her mysteries, so I will have to check this one out as well.

    ReplyDelete