Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Teaser Tuesday, February 21

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

- Grab your current read & open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page (be careful not to include spoilers!)
- Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers

It's been a long time since I shared a teaser, but I haven't broken out of my habit of including more than two sentences. I can't help this -- this book is hilarious and begs to be quoted at length!  Written in 1910, When a Man Marries by Mary Roberts Rinehart is decidedly modern in feel -- banter, silly mixups, improbable circumstances -- but also reminds me a bit of F. Scott Fitzgerald -- lots of wealthy people behaving ridiculously.  Our narrator, Kit, pretends to be the wife of a friend to keep the friend's wealthy aunt from discovering he's divorced.  Then the ex-wife, Bella, shows up under the pretense of stealing her ex-husband's butler.
...we went downstairs in a line to welcome Bella, to try to make her feel at home, and to forget her deplorable situation.  Leila had worked herself into a really sympathetic frame of mind.

"Poor dear," she said, on the way down.  "Now don't grin, anybody, just be cordial and glad to see her.  I hope she doesn't cry; you know the spells she takes."

We stopped outside the door, and everybody tried to look cheerful and sympathetic, and not grinny -- which was as hard as looking as if we had a cup of tea -- and then Jim threw the door open and we filed in.

Bella was comfortably reading by the fire.  She had her feet up on a stool and a pillow behind her head.  She did not even look at us for a minute; then she merely glanced up as she turned a page.

"Dear me," she said mockingly, "what a lot of frumps you are!  I had hoped it was someone with my breakfast."

Then she went on reading.  As Leila said afterward, that kind of person OUGHT to be divorced. (p70)

4 comments:

  1. Ought to be divorced indeed! Sounds like a fun read. Any mention of F. Scott Fitzgerald definitely gets my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a hoot, and I can imagine that I would really love this book. Thanks for sharing this quote with us!

    ReplyDelete