Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The King's Agent by Donna Russo Morin

Title: The King's Agent
Author: Donna Russo Morin

Genre: Fiction (Historical / 1500s / Italy / Florence / Art / Conspiracy)
Publisher/Publication Date: Kensington (3/1/2012)
Source: Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours

Rating: Okay to liked.
Did I finish?: I did.
One-sentence summary: A modest noblewoman with a secret and an honorable, patriotic thief take a jaunty journey, inspired by Dante's masterpiece, in search of a sculpture that might change everything.
Reading Challenges: Historical Fiction

Do I like the cover?: I do -- it's pretty -- but I hate the truncated head shot and it doesn't exactly fit the story (other than imply, I presume, the heroine). I would have loved one of the pieces of art mentioned in the story, or something alluding to Dante's works -- anything but the bland costumed lady!

I'm reminded of...: Emilio Salgari

First line: His hands quivered ever so slightly.

Do... I like the author's blog?: YES. Donna Russo Morin shares historical tidbits and adorable geekiness that makes me

Was... I delighted to find that Russo Morin used real art and artists as part of her story?: YES. I love art and I've a soft spot for mystical magical hidden things in art -- it's so fun! That the mysterious Sebastiano Mainardi painting crucial to the plot was real made me so happy!

Buy, Borrow, or Avoid?: Borrow for a very diverting weekend.

Why did I get this book?: I've heard great things about Morin's previous books and I am just a sucker for histfic.

Review: This is a romp of a novel. The story literally bounces along, bops happily through Florence and Italy in search of mysterious piece of sculpture of immense importance, following clues from Dante's Divina Commedia, following clues in paintings that may or may not indicate UFOs. And yet, while it sounds a bit laughable and weird, it all kind of fits together and was, in the end, a great deal of fun.

Set in 1500s Florence, the story follows Battista della Palla, a Florentine patriot who steals art to keep Florence free. When he receives a mysterious request from the King of France to locate an even more mysterious sculpture, he comes across Lady Aurelia, protected ward of the Marquess of Mantua. Educated and longing for freedom, Aurelia allies herself with Battista and joins him in his search for the sculpture.

I suppose the flavor of this novel is 16th century Indiana Jones. While reading, I was reminded of Emilio Salgari, Zorro, and Errol Flynn movies. The playful thief-hero practically winks at the reader with each daring theft, and there's this overabundance of masculinity among the thief's band of co-thieves that begs to be slashed. It's campy, but what can I say? I love me some camp!

It took me some time to really get in to the story; the feel was a bit too bombastic for my tastes: first a theft! and a mischievous-but-honorable thief hero! and his adorably rascally and masculine crew! and a mysterious imprisoned woman! But about 60 pages in or so, I think the story settled in a bit and I got used to Morin's writing style, and from that point, I was sucked in.

The novel requires some suspension of disbelief and a willingness to not be a historical stickler (the heroine's behavior felt a little too romance novel-y feisty for me, a bit like Tangled's Rapunzel all grown up) but much like The DaVinci Code or the Indiana Jones movies, doing so allows for a delightfully silly, engrossing ride.

*** *** ***

Learn more about Donna Russo Morin: check out her webpage, Facebook, and Twitter. You can follow the tour on Twitter with #KingsAgentVirtualBookTour.

GIVEAWAY!

I'm thrilled to offer a copy of The King's Agent to one lucky reader! To enter, fill out this brief form. Open to US readers only. Ends 3/16. Be sure to come back on Friday, March 2 for my interview with Donna Russo Morin!

22 comments:

  1. Dang it, Audra--stop! First The Crown, now The King's Agent--which really seems like it's up my alley, I'm all about suspending disbelief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee -- I think you'd love this one! It's such fun -- very action packed -- wonderfully cheering given Boston's blustery coldness.

      Delete
    2. PS: I'm reviewing another fabu historical tomorrow -- Revolutionary-era US -- so good! Sorry (? ;)) to be tempting you!

      Delete
  2. I'm reading this right now and I also like all of the art and artists that are brought up in it. It did start kind of slow for me but it is picking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne -- around 60 pages or so, it really clicked for me, and from then on I raced through it!

      Delete
  3. Your description screams "Summer" to me, Audra. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on this one for a beach weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col -- totally a summer read -- which is why I loved it for now, because it made me forget the gross Boston grey thing that's going on right now!!

      Delete
  4. Okay, this one sounds fun! I'm reading a historical novel now that requires some suspending of disbelief, and I'm surprised by how much I'm loving it. I'm on the market for more historical escapades, so your review came at the perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely an escapade, and an escape, and an adventure -- such a hoot! I think you'd have fun with this one!

      Delete
  5. I like the historical mystery aspect of the novel. Hate it too when the covers cut off heads.

    harvee44@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really has everything -- it's the perfect book for a varied craving!

      Delete
  6. I really love inventive historical fiction, and like you mention, this one does sound like a really fun romp! I hadn't heard much about this book before now, but would like to check it out and see what I make of it. Great review and giveaway! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I'd love to know your thoughts if you do get to it. I'm super excited for her earlier books now!

      Delete
  7. I have seen that painting before and freaky :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one up to read soon. I have been up and down with her books. I didn't love, but liked, The Secret of the Glass, but very much loved To Serve A King. We'll see how this one fits in. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw this on another blog today!Sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is on my wish list. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. (Ha! now that you mention the cover, all I can think is "off with her head!") Sounds like a lot packed in the story, but also fun if you are in the right mood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are killing me with these reviews...the historical fiction books...are on the rise in the tbr wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello All,

    Thanks, Audra, for the great review, your time, and including my work on your blog. Many thanks to everyone with an interest in my work. Best of luck to all entering the giveaway. Read...imagine...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at '16th century Indiana Jones.' I have a feeling I'm going to love this book. :)

    ReplyDelete