Friday, January 20, 2012

FridayReads and I'm planning a party...

I don't expect to get much reading done this weekend; I'm throwing a huge party for my wife, who is turning 30. She's a Jaws fan, so the theme is low-brow and cheesy: sharks, sharks, and sharks. With a fringe of shark-hybrids for good measure (Sharktopus, I'm looking at you.).  A friend is carving a shark cake for her, so I'll share the silly awesomeness later on (along with, I hope, gloating about how great the party ended up being!).

I'm still finishing up From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant by Alex Gilvarry and it is seriously so good. Ridiculous fun, with a metric ton of satire -- not bitter, and not sharp -- and a circle of fabulous characters. I'm also starting A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I'm apprehensive about that one: it sounds a bit Twilight-for-adults but friends loved it, so...we'll see!

What are you reading this weekend?

11 comments:

  1. Have a great time at your wife's party. Wonderful idea and try to fit in some reading too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to start The Great Lenore at some point, though this is the fourth day of classes and I'm already panicking so we'll see, ha. Really looking forward to hearing your opinion of A Discovery of Witches-- I'm just not sure about that one either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said over at twitter: this sounds great! I hope you'll be able to share some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've almost been convinced to read A Discovery of Witches. I am apprehensive too, but I've seen a lot of good, trusted reviews.

    Enjoy the huge AWESOME shark party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shark party sounds fun, and I would love to see pictures! I also am excited that you will be reading A Discovery of Witches. It was a great book, and not too much like Twilight. It has some very complicated plot elements, and the supernatural stuff was really well done. I can't wait to hear what you think!

    As for me, I will be wading into part 3 of Middlemarch, and hopefully finishing Cinder this weekend. After that, I'm not really sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your wife! Hope you all have a blast at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheesy parties are always loads of fun! I'm sure yours will be a huge success! Happy birthday to your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your wife! I hope you have a wonderful celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your celebratory weekend! I'll be curious to hear thoughts on Discovery of Witches. I've heard mixed reviews and still find myself on the fence with it!

    ReplyDelete