Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday Reads and sunnier days

Last weekend we were hit with an unexpected nor'easter and the heavy snow broke a tree branch onto our car! We didn't lose power (even though the branch pulled down wires) but our car is totaled. So I've been dealing with insurance stuff all week and escaping into reading when I can (the fluffy and fun Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories Inspired by Literature's Most Astute Observer of the Human Heart helped a lot!). I'm looking forward to a milder weekend with lots more reading!

My FridayReads for this week is A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead, which is just marvelous and moving. (I teared up on the train when I started it!) Although intense, it reads quickly, and I'm captivated. Can't wait to share my review next week.

What are you reading this weekend? And are you facing good or ugly weather?

ETA: I like the Book Beginnings meme, so here's the beginning of A Train in Winter:

On 5 January 1942, a French police inspector named Rondeaux, stationed in the 10th arrondissement of Paris, caught sight of a man he believed to be a wanted member of the French Resistance.


12 comments:

  1. This is a good beginning. It makes you want to keep reading but with hope that the inspector does not catch the French Resistance guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eager to hear your final thoughts on A Train in Winter. I don't read much nonfiction, but this one intrigues me.

    I'm jealous of your snow (we're having a lengthy summer in the Midwest!), but not jealous of your car problems. Hope it works itself out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be reading A Train in Winter soon so I am glad you are enjoying it. I hope you have a more relaxing weekend than last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like rain this weekend, bleh :(
    But I have the same book you read (JAne Austen) to keep me company

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw your comment on my blog. So sorry you've been dealing with such a mess. And as for A Train in Winter...agreed. It was an incredible book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Jane Austen Made Me Do It...what a great collection of Austenesque stories. Also...I cannot wait to read Train in Winter.

    BTW, I received Ivan and Misha today!

    As for my weekend reads, I already finished The Conference of Birds, and I cannot wait to start Beth Kephart's latest, You Are My Only, tonight...which means I will likely be seeking another book to read this weekend...maybe I will finish up on that I've already started...I'll have to check my GoodReads Currently Reading list to see which one entices me to open the pages.

    Have a great weekend. Stop by the Virtual Poetry Circle on Sat. if you are inclined to talk more about To Join the Lost!

    ReplyDelete
  7. brrrrrr
    i have JA, too.
    train in winter sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading too many books, right now, all across the board. We're headed away to our botanical gardens a little bit south of here, for the last warm weekend we'll see in a while, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like that Allstate Insurance Mayhem guy has been playing around in your trees! Sorry he ruined your car! I'm reading and loving The Beauty of Humanity Movement. Weather is icy here for Calif...and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so sorry to hear about your car! Good thing to hear that it's getting taken care of! I am in the middle of three books right now that I hope to finish soon. As a matter of fact, today is a reading day! My own mini- readathon. Well, kind of! Hope that you have a pleasant Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry about the car. Usually I'm the one that gets snow first. It's been odd having it be everyone else this year. The bad thing though is that it was so bad for everyone.

    I've got Jane Austen Made me Do It to read but I doubt I'll pick it up this weekend. I'm working on a few books for tours and then The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and it's pretty good.

    Hope you two have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tonight I started Northanger Abbey and Angels and Dragons, a Jane Austen parody by Vera Nazarian. So far it's fun and witty (and respectful of Jane Austen). Train in Winter is reminding me of a book on my To Be Read called Death in the City of Light, b/c it's in the same time frame and setting.

    I am sorry to hear about your car; the same thing happened to me. Be careful they don't file it as Your Fault (in the absence of it being anyone else's fault) as State Farm did to me!

    ReplyDelete