Sunday, October 23, 2011

In My Mailbox Monday, Oct 24

Seen both at Mailbox Monday (hosted in October at the fabulous Savvy Verse & Wit) and The Story Siren, my Mailbox Monday/In My Mailbox on a chilly, very autumnal Sunday. I had been sighing and whining to my wife that I hadn't gotten anything new in a while, but doesn't this just prove me wrong?! I'm slightly ashamed of myself! Have you read any of these?  What did you get?


For Review




Song of the Nile by Stephanie Dray
People Tell Me Things by David Finkle
You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 65 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself by David McRaney
A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead
James Joyce: A Life by Edna O'Brien
The Conference of the Birds by Peter Sis
Charles Dickens: A Life by Jane Smiley

Purchased/Swapped




The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst
Good Behavior by Molly Keane
The Most Beautiful Book in the World: Eight Novellas by Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt

17 comments:

  1. Oh, man, Elegance of the Hedgehog is the reason I started my blog!!! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THat is quite a haul! I loved an earlier graphic novel by Peter Sis--The Wall, so I'll be eager to hear your thoughts on his newest. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul this week! I've wanted to read Stephanie Dray's books but haven't read any yet. Hope you enjoy all of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy :D The Dray book looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really looking forward to that Dickens book, and hope to be reading it soon. I sort of have a big crush on the guy! Glorious stack here today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These should keep you busy for a LONG while...LOL enjoy - Lots of unfamiliar titles to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Conference of Birds was in my mailbox too -- isn't it the most beautiful book you've seen in a while? Looks like a great week for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some really really good ones here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice mailbox. I have Train in Winter and Conference of birds as well. I've heard Alan Furst is excellent. Also, I am really interested in these two books: Charles Dickens: A Life by Jane Smiley and James Joyce: A Life by Edna O'Brien....are these part of a series? I can't wait to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have a wonderful Monday Mailbox!
    A Train in Winter looks wonderful & very sad; Charles Dickens by Jane Smiley gets my vote because I think Smiley is awesome!
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog is on my shelf beckoning to me. I read the first few chapters a couple of months ago & had to stop because I got bogged down in review books...I need to get back to that book! I hope you like it!

    james Joyce by Edna O'Brien, I'd be surprised if this is anything but Great!

    My last comment is I hope you enjoy The Foreign Correspondents, I'm looking forward to your review!

    Enjoy these New books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Elegance of the Hedgehog is an excellent book! I am excited to read A Train in Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have A Train in Winter and Song of the Nile, too, so I'm anxiously awaiting your thoughts on those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Train in Winter sounds like such a great read. I can't wait to see reviews on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great mailbox, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/mailbox-monday_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait for reviews of Jane Smiley's Dickens book!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got a nice variety! I hope they're all winners!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm, Elegance. I want to know, too, what you think of The Most Beautiful Book in the World. Love Europa books, love the cover, and the book sounds good...

    ReplyDelete