Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Teaser Tuesday, July 12


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

- Grab your current read & open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page (be careful not to include spoilers!)
- Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers

Today's teaser is from Nayana Currimbhoy's fabulous novel Miss Timmins' School for Girls.  Set in 1974 at a girl's school in the Panchgani region of India, the story follows Charulata Apte, a young Indian woman who is an English teacher there.  The excerpt below is from early in the novel, as Charu is chatting with a few other teachers. They're telling her about monsoon season and how hard it is to keep the students cooped up inside.  Miss Manson, one of the teachers, suggested Charu help her teach the students Scottish dance.

I really knew nothing about the dancing habits of the Scottish.  But I wanted to help.  "I could teach them Indian folk dances," I offered, scrounging my mind for school dances in gaudy garments.

"Well, I'm not sure that they would be complex enough for competitions," she said.  Pursing her lips, she blushed a dark, deep red.  I knew I had said something wrong, but it took me a few days to understand the reason for Miss Manson's disapproval and discomfort.  She blushed a beetroot red because I had unwittingly questioned the core belief of the school: British was Better.

10 comments:

  1. Interesting teaser! I hope you enjoy the book!!

    Now come let me Tease you! And while your there don't miss out on one amazing giveaway HERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeep, don't question those Empirical British!!! Good teaser :)

    Mine is from The Daughter of Siena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still pushing the British is Better in 1974? Hmmm.

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/07/teaser-tuesdays_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Awesome teaser this week :D Here's mine: Teaser!

    Also, check out my anniversary giveaway!

    ~Zakiya LadyWings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished this one a few weeks ago. I will be interested in reading your final thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting teaser.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to that book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting, good teaser!
    http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/2011/07/teaser-tuesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet that teacher is in trouble now!

    Here's ours: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2011/07/tuesday-teaser-save-me-happiness.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been eyeing this book cover and thinking it would be an original storyline. Your teaser convinced me to order it.

    My TT is a hard, but compelling, read: "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay. Link: Summit Musings

    ReplyDelete