Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Teaser Tuesday, June 21

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

- Grab your current read & open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page (be careful not to include spoilers!)
- Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers

I'm having all kinds of mixed feelings about this book, which is fun since I think it topically passes for chick lit (even if the heroine is no longer a late 20-something).  It's a mix of marriage/motherhood angst and heroine-takes-on-quirky-job-and-learns-about-herself etc.  At times, it infuriates me, and at other times, delights me.  Picking a teaser was tough because this book also has two different feels at times.  I finally picked this bit, from early on, which is typical of Belle's 'Bad Mommy' wryness.

I loved Duncan and I loved being his mother but I wasn't sure I was prepared to be only his mother.  Before we were even married, when Russell and I had gotten our dog, Humbert, I had walked him early one morning, and as I stood on a line for coffee, someone had offered him a dog treat.  "I always ask the mommy first," she said, looking at him expectantly.  "Oh, I'm not his mother," I said, "I'm just his...friend," and she looked at me with complete contempt.  "You're his mother," she had scolded, "Poor dog."

3 comments:

  1. Haha. Awesome! I'll be adding this to my ever growing wishlist.

    Here's my Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I loved that teaser and think I am going to have to try this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something I'd say. :-) I love dogs...but I don't think I'd ever say I was a dog's mommy.

    I'm running late today. Here's my TT: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/06/teaser-tuesdays_21.html

    ReplyDelete