Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Interview with Janet Mullany

Earlier this month I read and loved loved Janet Mullany's hilarious and sexy Regency Mr Bishop and the Actress.  I'm excited to share my interview with Ms. Mullany about her novel and her writing.  Read on and don't forget to enter to win a copy of Mr Bishop and the Actress!

What was the plot of your very first piece of fiction?

I think it was a plagiarized version of Black Beauty (Anna Sewell) but I got bored and couldn't figure out what was going to happen next. Astonishingly, that's how I still write (other than first person horse narratives and, I hope, the plagiarizing).

Was Mr Bishop and the Actress the original title of your book?

Yes. The title came first before I even knew what the book was about. It's a variant on the English joke where you add "as the actress said to the bishop" to any innocuous statement to make it sound filthy. It's the equivalent of adding "in bed" to a fortune cookie motto. (Go on. Try it, as the actress said to the bishop...)

As you were writing Mr Bishop and the Actress, was there a particular scene or character that surprised you?

Without adding spoilers ... Harry's mother's origins.

When you’re not writing, what do you like to do?

I garden, I volunteer as a docent at a local historical house, read, wrangle a cat. I'm really pretty boring.

Read any good books recently?

Yes! Started Early, Took the Dog by Kate Atkinson, and on the flimsiest of excuses, I started reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen again.

*** *** ***

My thanks to Ms. Mullany for her time.

GIVEAWAY!  I so loved this book I'm buying a copy to send to one lucky reader!  Leave a comment with an email address to be entered.  Open to US/international readers (if Book Depository ships to you).  Closes 7/8.  For another entry, comment on my review!

12 comments:

  1. well yes then I will enter again :D
    blodeuedd1 at gmail dot com

    Lol, I hope that first Horse book was nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I too am going to enter again, because I really, really want to read this book! Thanks for another chance:)

    jwitt33 at live dot com

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me me me!

    jeskimo dot kimono at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. no need to enter me, but I love the interview. not boring at all...I wonder what she does as a docent?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to read a hilarious regency. Thanks forth giveaway!

    lag110 at mchsi dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please count me in :)

    quixoticdreamer(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for including me. =)
    tiredwkids at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the giveaway and for opening it to worldwide entries.

    Please enter me.

    I Follow via GFC.

    Thanks.

    Carol T

    buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the opportunity to read this novel :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL - wrangling cats
    love that janet is reading jane austen!
    vvb32 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds great! Thanks for the contest.

    confessions(dot)avidreader(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will enter again, as the actress said to the bishop. Look at that---it works!

    arcookson at yahoo dotcom

    ReplyDelete