Friday, May 27, 2011

Armchair BEA Interview with Bethany of Subtle Melodrama

I have had such a blast with Armchair BEA this week, especially meeting and connecting with other amazing bloggers.  I missed out on posting my last interview on Wednesday, so I'm doing it today because I think everyone else should get to know Bethany of Subtle Melodrama as well!  You can check out her Armchair BEA intro or just keep reading to learn more about this great blogger!

What's your favorite article of clothing?
I love wearing vintage dresses, and I've got a few that I absolutely love. I have an 80s prom dress with a big tulle skirt that I love, but rarely get the chance to wear!

What was the oddest/weirdest/most fabulous thing you wanted to do 'when you grew up'?
Ninja Princess Space Cowboy Bounty Hunter. I'm working on it.

According to your bio, you hate marzipan. Did you have a tragic marzipan incident in your life?
Hmm. I don't think so. My mum loves marzipan, and I suspect I probably discovered that I hated it when I tried her otherwise-delicious Christmas cake.

You've been given a paid three-week getaway to anywhere in the world. Where would you go and who would you take?
Japan! No contest. I've always wanted to go to Japan. In three weeks I could do a bit of travelling too, but I'd love to see Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka. I'd bring my boyfriend along with me, so that he can carry the bags and bags full of souvenirs and Hello Kitty merchandise that I'd buy!

You have to turn a book into an ice cream flavor. What book do you choose, and what does it taste like?
Ooh! Good question! I'd probably choose Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood. I think it would taste of praline. Mmm.

If you could spontaneously read and understand another language, what would it be, and who is the first author you'd read in that language?
This one ties in with the last two questions, really! I'd definitely choose Japanese, and I'd be on Murakami in an instant. Then I could read all those Japanese authors whose work hasn't been translated into English yet, too. Otherwise, I'd LOVE to read Crime and Punishment or Anna Karenina in Russian.

When you aren't reading and blogging, what do you like to do?
Write! I'm a fiction writer, and I'm polishing off my first manuscript, and embarking on another soon-to-be (hopefully) novel. I should probably leave the house more.

Which do you fear more: public speaking or heights? Have an experience with either?
HEIGHTS!  I recently read one of my short stories at an event, and it was such a buzz! Nervewracking, of course, but it felt fantastic! I'd definitely want to do it again.  Heights, on the other hand? I've been at the top of the Eiffel Tower and it freaked me out. At the top of Cologne Cathedral, I was clinging onto the wire fencing for dear life. *shudders* I love the view, but it scares me too!

And finally, describe your perfect reading room/situation.
Reading is best done in front of a log fire. The house I lived in as a teenager had a log fire, and there was nothing more wonderful that lying on a rug in front of it, or sitting in a chair near it, curled up under one of my mum's handmade quilts with a cup of tea (and maybe even some chocolate) and a book. Mmm. That is an experience I would love to revisit!

4 comments:

  1. sadly, i'm japanese (able to speak) but completely illiterate and unable to enjoy Murakami's work in the native language. it's depressing, i know.

    and from Bethany's picture, she looks very much the vintage dresses type. not everyone can pull that off (i know i certainly cannot).

    great interview questions and peppy responses. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading infront of a log fire sounds lovely. I can do that at my parents place but here, alas no

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being in New England, I ought to have a fireplace, but alas, in this apartment it's been walled up! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. great questions. Japan seems to be a running theme throughout the interview. I love the culture of Japan and its traditions. Fascinating stuff. My favorite reading place would be an autumn morning just about dawn on a rocking chair on an open air porch in the country.

    ReplyDelete