Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Q and A with India Drummond

Angels and mediums aren't new to many fans of paranormal fiction, but India Drummond's novel Ordinary Angels (which killed me with fun) managed to take both and turn the story into something new and thoroughly entertaining.  Ms. Drummond graciously agreed to do a Q and A with me so read on to learn more about her and her books.  (See the end for a chance to win a copy of Ordinary Angels.)

What was the plot of your very first piece of fiction?

Oh gosh. It was so long ago (I was eight) that I can’t actually remember the plot. It was about twin aliens named Ka and Ba (which I inexplicably pronounced Kay and Bay). I vaguely remember them walking through the forest, but not where they were going or why. I do wish I still had it!

According to your bio, you’re an American living in the Scottish highlands. How did you end up there?

I had the good sense to marry a Scot! We met when he was living and working in the States, but when he proposed, I was on my first trip to Scotland. I never wanted to leave, so it was an easy choice when we were deciding where to settle. I love it here.

Which came first, the angels or the girl who could see the dead?

The angels. I knew I wanted to write about angels, and I started the project by sketching out the ‘angel lore’. But when it came time to pen that first chapter, I knew I needed to tell the story from the perspective of a human. I hadn’t originally planned for her to be a medium! It just sort of happened. Now I can’t imagine her any other way. It’s so deeply a part of who she is.

Was Ordinary Angels the original title of your book?

No. I usually go through at least three or four for every project. My first ‘rough draft’ title was “Angel in Blue Shorts”, because Alexander first appears in the guise of a postman. My plan was for that role to carry on longer than it did, but outlines are meant to be broken, and the story took on its own life. But as I was composing the book, I wrote the line where Alexander says something like, “Oh, no, we ordinary angels don’t do things like that.” And I knew immediately I’d found the RIGHT title.

As you were writing Ordinary Angels, was there a particular scene or character that surprised you?

I’d say Thomas was the biggest surprise. He’s a secondary angel character that I hadn’t originally planned to have as much impact as he did. But he made such an impression on me, that he’s a much more central figure of the sequel, Familiar Demons. I have to admit to having a little crush on him too.

Do you have any writing rituals or routines?

I tend to write a first draft over a period of about six weeks. I set daily word count goals, and every day I get up early and work on that first… before I check my email, blog, get on facebook. I love the social stuff, but it’s so easy to get sucked in to the chatting and fun. I have to be disciplined, or I’d never get that first draft on paper.

When you’re not writing, what do you like to do?

You mean there are other things? Oh, wait… yes… I remember other things! Probably my favourite thing is travel. And since Familiar Demons is set primarily in Amsterdam, I think that’s the perfect excuse to take another weekend jaunt to help set the scene. There are a few cities I love to visit, and Amsterdam is one of them. I felt the same way about San Francisco, which is why I set Ordinary Angels there. I love a city with energy and personality.

Read any good books recently?

I recently read Ravenmarked, an epic fantasy by Amy Rose Davis. I loved her world and the way she defied stereotypes. I also really enjoyed Passions of the Dead, a crime/thriller novel by L.J. Sellers. I tend to read in a wide variety of genre, which probably shows in my plotlines. Rarely have I written anything that is easily classified! I like crime, adventure, romance, and nothing is as exciting as a good murder. My next release, Blood Faerie, has a serial killing faerie and the Scottish cop who is hunting him. It’s less of a “sexy” book than Ordinary Angels, but does have a sweet budding romance in it. (I’m a sucker for falling in love.)

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today!

*** *** ***

My thanks to Ms. Drummond for her time.  To learn more about India and her books, see her website.

Giveaway!  I had such a hoot with this book I decided to buy a copy to give away to one of my readers!  Ebook, all formats available.  Open to US & international readers, ends April 30th.  To enter, leave a comment here with your email address.  For another entry, be sure to comment on my review of Ordinary Angels.

3 comments:

  1. I must say that I prefer the new title much more than the blue shorts one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Amsterdam! Maybe I ought to set a book there too...
    Great interview. And you're so right, India. Writing has to come before social networks or it never comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow Scot, I am always looking for new stories to read from authors who live in the country.
    Angel in Amsterdam - what an interesting idea!
    A city that is primarily connected with sin and stag nights with angels - it'll be interesting to see how the story evolves

    Neil

    ReplyDelete