Monday, April 11, 2011

Ordinary Angels by India Drummond

Title: Ordinary Angels
Author: India Drummond

Genre: Fiction (Supernatural/Paranormal)
Publisher/Publication Date: Lyrical Press, Inc. (4/4/2011)
Source: The author

Rating: Greatly liked
Did I finish?: Yes - delicious escapist fun!
One-sentence summary: Young woman sees the dead but finds seeing angels makes life even trickier!
Reading Challenges: British Books, E-books

Do I like the cover?: Yes --it's very pretty: I need that shirt!

I'm reminded of...: Kelley Armstrong, Cate Tiernan, Kage Baker

First line: All but one of Zoe Pendergraft's friends were dead.

Did... I develop a bit of a crush on (maybe not so) angelic Thomas?: YES.  I'm not an angel girl but there was something super fun/dreamy about this Free Angel lawyer.  (You just have to read it to see what I mean!)

Did... I giggle and snicker a lot on my commute?: YES.  This is another one of those books that just tickles you with great one-liners and wry mental commentary.

Did... I wish I was living out in California?: YES.  It's not a very California-y book but the story is set in and around San Francisco and just the little hints made me want to move!

Why did I get this book?: Tell me that first line wouldn't hook you!

Review: This quick, fun read combines angels and a girl who can see the dead in an inventive and enjoyable supernatural thriller/romance. I was a little hesitant about how both twists would be handled but Drummond manages it beautifully, creating a cute romance and a nice mystery and some fantastic characters.  The lore about angels that I'm familiar with is twisted and turned edgier and a lot more interesting (I don't want to give anything away but I'll admit her version of guardian angels has me a bit shivery!).

I'm super fussy about how my heroines handle drama and romance and tension and too often I find authors turning their strong heroines into passive victims.  Zoe, however, felt very real to me and very authentic; her development through the story showed me someone who felt fear, vulnerability, desire, passion, happiness, and courage in appropriate and expected ways.  She got upset at reasonable moments; she kicked butt at others.  It was easy to relate to her and cheer her on and it was a relief when she stayed consistent and true to the character Drummond had started with.

The romance is straight-forward and very sexy (some fun rated R bits to keep things exciting!), and the plot had enough mystery and danger to keep me interested but not so convoluted as to lose my interest.  Near the end, there's some very world-building that hints Drummond isn't done with her angels; as I found out in my Q and A with her (live on Wednesday), there is in fact a sequel in the works.  I am very excited for it -- it's always fun getting hooked on a new series and I can say India Drummond is an author I'll now be eagerly anticipating!

*** *** ***
Giveaway!  I'm giving away one e-book copy of Ordinary Angels (many formats) to any reader! Just comment on this review with your email. Open to US & international readers. Closes May 1. Comment on my Q and A with the author, India Drummond, for an additional entry!

19 comments:

  1. That good? Then yes I am in! Especially now when I know that I can always borrow an e-reader from the library.

    blodeuedd1 gmail dot com

    Mystery, danger and sexy, hihi, yay

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Blodeuedd: Yes, that good! :) It's the perfect weekend or rainy-two-days reading. That is *awesome* about your library lending e-readers -- I wish our local libraries could do that. My e-reader is one of my most beloved purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need this! LIKE NOW!!
    raoreviews(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following India around the web as she promotes her book, and I've been wanting to read it since she very kindly read mine. :) I'm in!

    amy(at)amyrosedavis(dot)com

    Lovely review, too. I love your review format--different than the typical grade or stars, and it gives a nice flavor for both the book and your reading experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Count me in. I would like to read this book and loved the review/Q&A. lauriej170@gmail.com
    http://lauries-interviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I want the shirt on the cover too.

    I've wanted this book since I heard the premise. I'd love to win a copy of this book.

    tmilstein at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good, I'd love to have a copy ^^
    eveningreen (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. It sounds like a fun, fast read. Count me in!

    cynditefft at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review - I love books that make me laugh in public places :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great... thanks!

    mculi (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like an interesting book and I would love to read it. I love your q/a style. Please enter me.
    lvs2dv@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, man, I would LOVE a copy of this. I'm so excited about it. Thank you for the great give-away!

    Rosie
    East for Green Eyes
    rlconnolly01 [at] gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Urban Fantasy is a genre that I need to have a little more exposure to, so your review was not only welcome, but very entertaining as well. I would love the chance to branch out and read this one, so please do enter me in your great giveaway!

    zibilee(at)figearo(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review - you're right..who wouldn't be hooked by a first line like that!? I love how yo8u combine your review with your own questions and anserws to include your opinion; very unique; it's a nice creative twist on the book review:) Thanks for sharing! cgraceh at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, a copy would be fine.
    You know, check out what this whole genre is about.
    Nice review and if I don't win a copy, then I'll have to beg, borrow or steal!

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY for the angel book. All of the book that you review are new for me.

    aleetha.ally at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, sounds great! And reminisces you of Kelley Armstrong? She is my fav UF author I love her Women of the Otherworld series :-) (that was my introduction to the UF genre :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ps: sorry forgot to leave my email: stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete