Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Title: Angelology
Author: Danielle Trussoni

Genre: Fiction (Supernatural /Contemporary Thriller)

Rating: Enthusiastic like.
Did I finish?: YES -- couldn't stop.
One-sentence summary: Angels are among us, and they aren't very good.

Why did I get this book?: I'm a sucker for biblically-inspired paranormal plots and nuns as heroines.
Source: TLC Book Tours

Do I like the cover?: Yes -- has the dark, sexy feel of the novel's angels.

First line: The angelologists examined the body.

Did... I totally resent having to stop reading to do everyday life things?: YES.  As you can see from my GoodReads updates, I was having a great time with this book.

Did... I love having nuns as action heroines?: YES.  Honestly, that needs to happen more often.

Did... I spend a ton of time Googling the Devil's Throat gorge to see if it was real?: Yes, and the pictures are astounding.  Gorgeous!

Review: I have to confess, I'm pretty demanding of my adventure/thriller novels.  I'm picky about plot and impatient with lazy characterization, and I have to say, in Angelology I found yummy plot and engrossing characters.  Neither Dan Brown or Kate Mosse really engaged me as a reader, so the comparisons to them made me hesitant.  But from the first handful of pages, I was ensnared by this story in a way I hadn't with a Brown or Mosse novel.  I believed the mythos being offered, I believed the characters, and I cared about what was going to happen to them.

The novel begins in third person, following nun Evangeline and a researcher, Verlaine; a hint of the novel's overarching mystery is introduced, and secondary characters pepper the plot.  In the second part of the novel, the focus switches to first person reminiscence by one of the aforementioned secondary characters.  Rather than feel abrupt or out of place, this section breathes life to the possibly overwhelming back story.  Set during the second World War, it's a supernatural historical that I just gobbled up.

The final section of the book felt the weakest to me: the story became very then-they-did-this-and-then-they-did-that and there was a romantic element that felt super abrupt.  It was noticeable to me because the first three sections were very meaty, with a good balance of plot and character development.  The story has a bittersweet close and a bit of a cliffhanger, and I am happy to see Trussoni is working on a sequel.  

***

Giveaway!  Thanks to the publisher, two lucky winners will get a copy of Angelology!  To enter, simply comment with your email address. Ends April 2nd.  US/CA only, I'm sorry!



16 comments:

  1. excellent write up about the story. I'll be going back, rereading it and googling some of the places mentioned. Just didn't have time this go round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, this sounds great!! Right up my alley!


    bravenewgirl at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover really is fantastic. And OMG can you say 'up my alley'? Because this book totally is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS BOOK LOOKS AMAZING COUNT ME IN!!!

    ashtreygonesmokeya@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, the nuns as heroines does sound intriguing. (not an entry)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel better about this book, since you are not comparing it to Dan Brown. I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your review, and I'm glad to see that you liked the book. I've been eyeing it but wasn't sure whether or not to read it. I'd love to win a copy, so thanks for the giveaway!

    jmartinez0415 [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your review. Thanks for the wonderful giveaway

    dianad8008 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've been wanting to read this book for months !


    uniquas at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum to the cover, that's what I have to say!

    Thanks for the great contest!

    meandmyshelf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the format of your review! It's fun and informative. I really liked Trussoni's FALLING THROUGH THE EARTH. I know this book is very different, but I'm looking forward to reading it and exploring this author's range. Thanks for the chance to win a copy!

    geebee.reads@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds very interesting.
    Sleber4@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love a good angel story! A good story that is, not a good angel. Angels are better when they are bad. I have been toying with reading this book for a while now, but wasn't too sure about the whole nun thing. Now I think I'll have to visit the library soon! Nice summary/review I love your format.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beyond thrilled that you enjoyed this one! I've had a hardback copy since it came out but I still haven't gotten around to reading it. I need to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to admit that the idea of a nun as an action hero really appeals to me as well!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete