Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Teaser Tuesday, Feb 1

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
- Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week's teaser is from the absolutely fantastic Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (which is unrelated to Winifred Watson's Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, which is equally fanstic, fyi).  My review is coming on the 3rd.

This teaser comes from one of the first handful of pages in which the 68-year old Major, a widower, learns his younger brother has died of a heart attack.  Mrs. Ali, the local shopkeeper and a widow, is giving the Major a ride to the funeral when he found himself unable to drive by himself.  Their conversation turned unexpectedly persona.

"I have produced no children of my own and my husband is dead," she replied, an acid tone in her voice.  "Thus I am more to be pitied than revered.  I am expected to give up the shop to my nephew, who will then be able to afford to bring a very good wife from Pakistan.  In exchange, I will be given houseroom and no doubt, the honor of taking care of several small children of other family members."

The Major was silent.  He was at once appalled and also reluctant to hear any more.  This was why people usually talked about the weather.

3 comments:

  1. We picked this book for our book club for this month - I am really looking forward to reading it!

    My teaser can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this book. good teaser!

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd always wondered if the movie and the book were related. Because I *love* the movie. :) Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete