Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Sergeant's Lady by Susanna Fraser

Title: The Sergeant's Lady
Author: Susanna Fraser

Genre: Historical Romance

Rating: Liked!
Did I finish?: Yes - there was a brief point when I quit because I was sort of huffy about a plot point but I couldn't stop thinking about the story so I had to finish.
One-sentence summary: Super rich soldier's wife falls for super poor soldier and face some major dangers and trials.

Why did I get this book?: Pretty cover plus sex.
Reading Challenges: E-book, Historical Fiction
Source: NetGalley

Do I like the cover?: Oh yes.  Bohunky and dramatic without being too lurid.  Although I hate the use of Scriptina font for 'Lady'.

First line: "Aiee! Madre de Dios, it hurts!"

Review: I haven't grown up reading romance novels so the genre is pretty new to me, but I've discovered I do enjoy historical romances.  This one came on holiday with me and was kind of the perfect thing to read while on deck of the cruise -- super fun but enough meaty history and plot to keep me engaged.  

The sexy bits were fun and I especially loved the ending.  In fact, I wish more of the novel focused on the people and plot of the end of the novel rather than the off-putting (to me) plot twist in the middle.  (I don't mean to be so vague but I don't want to spoil the story for anyone!)  I'm told the plot twist is a common romance novel convention and as a result I can't be too unhappy about it, but I found it went on longer than I would have liked. 

Fraser's next novel is about the heroine's brother, flashing back to his courtship with his wife.  I'm especially looking forward to that as these characters -- like all of Fraser's side characters -- were interesting and fleshed out.  I cared about them and I'm thrilled to see at least two are getting their own story. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed that you know what font that is on the cover. I have never been good at differentiating them.

    This sounds like a romance worth checking out. I love it when characters are well developed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole -- HA! I do some graphic design for work plus icons for places like LiveJournal, which is the only reason I know!

    The fun thing about this book is that the heroes are heroic and the villains are villainous and still, there's some real exploration about class, about sexual desire and the impacts of unhealthy sexual expression, and obligations of family. I look forward to your thoughts if you check it out!

    ReplyDelete