Saturday, December 4, 2010

South Asian Reading Challenge

I'm really excited for the South Asian Reading Challenge -- one of my goals  is to read more authors of color in 2011 and this is a great opportunity to do so!

My goal is: South Asian Wanderer - 3 books UPDATE: South Asian Explorer - 5 books! Some books that immediately came to mind (mostly because I own them already) are below; if you've any opinions on them or recommendations, let me know!

Miss New India by Bharati Mukherjee
Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
The Lost Flamingoes of Bombay by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi
The Marriage Bureau For Rich People by Farahad Zama

Read

A Different Sky by Meira Chand
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
The Lost Flamingoes of Bombay by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi
The Beauty of Humanity Movement by Camilla Gibb
The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair
The Luminist by David Rocklin

5 comments:

  1. I have not read all those book above.

    But have you read The Marriage Bureau For Rich People by Farahad Zama?
    I love that book.Nice plot

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, i have major pettigrew in my tbr pile. i may have to read it sooner than later. let me know when you read yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aleetha -- thanks for the recommendation! I haven't read it yet but I'm going to add it to my list to see if I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first challenge (South Asia Challenge 2011) and I am very keen to introduce some Sri Lankan authors and also go beyond the popular south asian authors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Vee: I'm going to read it end of Jan as I'm reviewing it in Feb!

    @Mystica: So glad you're going to join in -- I can't wait to see what authors you recommend!

    ReplyDelete