Monday, December 6, 2010

The Scent of Jade by Dee DeTarsio

Title: The Scent of Jade
Author: Dee DeTarsio

Genre: Fiction (Chick-Lit / Thriller)

Rating: Enthusiastic like!
Did I finish?: Couldn't stop myself!
One-sentence summary: American gets lost in Costa Rican jungle with sacred artifact and broken heart.

Why did I get this book?: The tagline: Romancing the Stone meets Survivor. I couldn't resist!
Source: The author.

Do I like the cover?: Yes, especially since it resembles what I suspect the locale looked like.

First line: If I could swap my moral compass out for a real one, instead of trying to rely on guidance from the stars, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Did... I look forward to reading this book?: YES.  This last week was super grim, work-wise, and I couldn't wait for my commute home to hide out with our heroine.

Did... I embarrass myself on the subway?: YES.  Laugh, chortle, chuckle, snicker, giggle - I did it all and I couldn't stop myself, even if I garnered a few bemused looks from other passengers.

Did... I thoroughly love the Reader's Guide?: YES.  Short, but very fun.

Review: This breezy but thoroughly entertaining novel was the perfect escape for me this last week.  Boston was gray and super cold; work was long and draining.  But each night I couldn't wait for my twenty-minute escape to Costa Rica with Julie Fraser, the sarcastic heroine of this novel.  I certainly didn't envy her situation, but DeTarsio plays out her plight with humor, action, and a hint of sexiness.

If we're considering The Scent of Jade's pop cultural lineage (parents being Romancing the Stone and Survivor) I would have to add Sex and the City as the inappropriate aunt.  This novel is a bit like watching a romantic action movie with a sarcastic best friend -- when things get a little too improbable, the heroine Julie says just the right thing to make me howl.  In fact, what I appreciated the most about this story was the realistic way DeTarsio portrayed Julie.  She wasn't perfect; she wasn't insta-Action Heroine.  She was the same woman in Costa Rica as she was at home and she simply had to pull herself together to survive.  Some moments she fell apart; some moments she rocked her best Angelina Jolie.  It gave me hope that should I find myself in a similar situation, I might not necessarily die in the first fifteen minutes!

*** *** ***

Check back on Wednesday for an interview with the author, Dee DeTarsio, and a chance to win an e-book copy of The Scent of Jade!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Audra! I'm so glad you liked it--and enjoyed the escape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun :) Hihi I love to giggle on the bus. Romancing the stone, SATC, sounds good to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dee: It was just what I needed this week!

    @Blodeuedd: Exactly -- fun and silly and so very easy to slip into. Stop by on Wed for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you laughed out loud on the subway, I'll have to keep this one in mind. Laughing on public transit doesn't embarrass me, but it's when I'm reading a sad book and I tear up that I feel a little silly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anna: I know, there's nothing worse than sniffling on the train but at least when you're holding a book people can at least guess why you're so snotty! ;) Same for the giggling. I was tempted to paste in quote after quote in this review because once a page something hilarious would appear and I just couldn't pick a favorite line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a hoot!
    you betcha, i'll be back to try to win this one ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book looks like so much fun. I think it would be something I would find to be simply wonderful.

    Nice review.

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete