Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Femme Fatale Reading Challenge

The Femme Fatale Reading Challenge by Whitney at She Is Too Fond of Books had me, basically, at hello.

My goal is to be a Dragon Lady -- 12 femme fatale items.  Since films count as well as books, I'm pretty sure I'll blow this challenge away.  (Look at me, talking big!)

Some ideas so far...

Megan Abbott, Bury Me Deep
Richard Aleas, Little Girl Lost
Raymond Chandler, The Lady in the Lake
Stephanie Dray, Lily of the Nile
Christa Faust, Money Shot
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Babylon Revisited and Other Stories
D.H. Lawrence, Lady Chatterley's Lover
Neil Miller, Banned in Boston: The Watch and Ward Society's Crusade against Books, Burlesque, and the Social Evil 
Charlotte Mosley, The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters
Douglas Perry, The Girls of Murder City: Fame, Lust, and the Beautiful Killers who Inspired Chicago
Liane de Pougy, My Blue Notebooks: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins, Kiss Her Goodbye


READ

Jonathan Santlofer, ed., L.A. Noire
Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins, Kiss Her Goodbye


I have no idea what films I'll end up watching -- it'll be fun picking ones my wife and I haven't seen yet.  So if you have any recommendations -- bookish or film-ish -- let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining in on my challenge! I think I'll read something by Megan Abbott too, several people have recommend it to me. If you haven't read/watched it Lolita is fantastic. The novel is beautifully, lyrically written and I love James Mason in the film. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife, who has read almost everything by Megan Abbott, is hot and cold on her. She loves The Song is You but was disappointed by Queenpin. I can't wait to see what you think of her.

    Lolita is a great one -- I have an annotated edition around -- I think I'll add that as well because I haven't read it since high school -- I bet I'll get more out of it now.

    I'm probably pushing the definition by including the Mitford letters, but I don't know -- some of those Mitford women were pretty dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, this sounds like a fun challenge. Have you or your wife read Megan Abbott's Die a Little? I loved it, and for this subject, it would be perfect :) I haven't read others by her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah: I haven't but it's on my Xmas wishlist so here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to this challenge. You're far more organised than I am - thanks for the list which I'm sure I'll get some great ideas from. Haven't heard of Megan Abbot but shall check out my library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In films, I would suggest GUN CRAZY with Peggy Cummins, DOUBLE INDEMNITY with Barbara Stanwyck, for classic examples, and BODY HEAT with Kathleen Turner and I, THE JURY with Barbara Carrera for later ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cat: I love to plan and when it comes to pulp/noir, I'm swimming in things to be read. Really, my challenge is always trimming the list. If you want any more ideas, let me know! ;)

    @Max: Fabu film suggestions -- I hadn't thought about Body Heat but that's an excellent one! Haven't seen Gun Crazy -- but just added it to the Netflix queue. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete