Saturday, December 18, 2010

British Books Reading Challenge

I had to sign up for the British Books Challenge by The Bookette because it overlapped so nicely with many of my other reading challenges.  The Georgette Heyer and Victorian ones could help me finish it alone!  (Yes, I'm getting cocky.)

I'm feeling so good about this one, I'm going big: The Royal Family - Read 12 books by British authors in 2011.

 But I still want your recommendations!  Any British authors I should especially look out for?  I'd love to include some British authors of color if you have any favorites I should pick up!

Read

Room by Emma Donoghue
Ordinary Angels by India Drummond
The Doll by Daphne du Maurier
Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller
The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
Small Wars by Sadie Jones
The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson
A Man of Parts by David Lodge
A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead
Mr Bishop and the Actress by Janet Mullany
The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair
Jane Austen Made Me Do It edited by Laurel Ann Nattress
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
Queen by Right by Anne Easter Smith
Does a Bear Sh*t in the Woods? by Caroline Taggart
Two for Sorrow by Nicola Upson
The Legacy by Katherine Webb

3 comments:

  1. I'm taking part in the challenge, too, and also plan to achieve the Royal Family level.

    Since you like historical fiction - I'm new to your blog, but have seen your posts on some historical fiction blogs - I recommend Elizabeth Chadwick. She writes great historical fiction set during the medieval period.

    I also recommend Daphne du Maurier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avid -- Thanks for popping by -- great recommendations. I love du Maurier but haven't read everything of hers and Chadwick is new to me but recommended a lot -- I think I'll bump her up on my TBR. I just started following your blog so I'll more recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and welcome to The British Books Challenge.

    As a librarian who tends to read YA and children's fiction, I feel my recommendations are a little limited. But I do love YA historical, so if you're considering reading one of those I recommend The Medici Seal by Theresa Breslin. Historical YA at its best. If something else comes to me, I'll pop back.

    Thanks for signing up and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete