Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Teaser Tuesday, Nov 30

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
- Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


This weeks' teaser is from Prelude to a Scandal by Delilah Marvelle.  It's not my usual fare, but the premise really intrigued me and so far, it's not wholly disappointing.  But it's a romance novel first so I'm a little stymied by the characters and their unusual rationalization for things.  Still, the story started off with a bang and I rather like our heroine, Justine. My teaser, long as usual, is from the opening of the book.  We learn on the first page that Justine's father is an African naturalist who wrote extensively on mating behaviors - and was imprisoned for the implications of his work.

Though her father had been found innocent of conspiring to promote buggery and moral corruption, he was still caged in Marshalsea Debtors Prison due to an array of exorbitant fines he simply could not pay.  Unlike most ladies, who might have long languished beneath such scandal mongering, Justine had never been one for wilting.  Her unusual upbringing had made her worldly enough to understand that every female, no matter her genus and species, had the ability to physically coerce a male into full cooperation.

And yes, she knew just the male to coerce.

5 comments:

  1. I like this woman already. Great teaser! My teaser this week comes from Great House by Nicole Krauss. Here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my teaser from The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent (Page 8):

    Martha saw it all clear in that moment: this was the instant her place in the family would be decided. If she lost her footing at the outset, she would forever be dealt with as no more than a servant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Second steamyish teaser for the day. That male better watch out!

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great teaser! I think this book is on my TBR list - I'd better go check! My Teaser is from Firelight, and I've got a giveaway going on, too!

    ReplyDelete