Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Teaser Tuesday, Nov 23

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
- Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

As I promised yesterday, today's teaser comes from thus-far fantastic India Black by Carol K. Carr.  Now, of course, comes the hard part: what teaser to post?

As usual, my teaser is longer than two sentences but I can't resist!  In this scene, India Black is heading back home after meeting a sketchy street urchin who's helping her out with a small problem.  No spoilers in this teaser, don't worry!

It's a shame, isn't it, when a mostly law-abiding citizen and woman of property doesn't feel safe to walk the streets of London?  And after all the publicity that little snoop Dickens had brought to the needy and the homeless, not to mention the criminal class.  You think something would have been done by now about the crime rate and the appalling condition of the poor, but the politicians kept waving their Union Jacks, fretting over Ireland, swilling champagne and stuffing themselves with oysters, and couldn't be bothered.

14 comments:

  1. Cool teaser! And I love that cover art, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really fun book. I read it a few weeks ago and am going to be doing a review in January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your teaser has made me want to check out this book, so thanks for choosing such an enticing quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo, i'm teased. love the gaslit lamp on the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this book had caught my attention now! Great teaser :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All -- This book is just such fun -- very wry and droll with lots of little political/literary allusions. I had a hard time picking a passage and limiting myself at that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound fun - adding it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that sounds good! Gonna have to make my TBR list a little longer....

    Here's my TT: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-tuesdays_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so jealous! I really want to read this book! Great teaser - it sounds like it's smartly written! Thanks for stopping by my Mailbox Monday. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first fraze is interesting...I always thought that in that era you would not have that problem...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a Teaser Tuesday. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete