Sunday, November 28, 2010

Nautical Fiction Reading Challenge for 2011

Since JG at The Introverted Reader recommended I read Ahab's Wife; and since I see more Austen/Austen-related fiction in my future; and since I love reading challenges, I thought I'd start one of my own.



The criteria is pretty easy: if the book involves a boat, or sailing, or sailors, or Navy life -- it counts!  Once a month, I'll offer a post so folks can share reviews of their nautical-related reading.

If you'd like to participate, just sign up below!   Books for other challenges can apply to this one, and you don't have to pick your books ahead of time (but feel free to share your suggestions!).

Timeline: Jan 1, 2011 - Dec 31, 2011

Levels
Dinghy: up to 5 books
Sloop: up to 10 books
Schooner: up to 15 books
Frigate: more than 20 books


9 comments:

  1. @Juju: If there's a ship or sailor around, I say yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, OK, I'm up for this. Put me down for a Sloop, although I might upgrade to a Schooner if all goes well - you know that's another name for a serve of beer, right?

    I'm going to mostly be hitting on nautical novels with a Fantastical bent to them, so expect more pirates than is seemly.

    Cheers;
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pip - Can't wait to see your reviews, then, as fantastical nautical fiction sounds delish dish. I brainstormed a list for myself but I'm v easily swayed. Should you make a list ahead of time I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only will I take the challenge, I will support it at my blog with some reviews/suggestions throughout the year. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @J: Awesome -- thank you! I can't wait to see your recommendations - mine were made rather on-the-fly after a quick survey of my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in a dinghy and hoping it'll float!

    ReplyDelete
  7. not joining yet, but a great book for this is Whiskey Gulf by clyde Ford.

    ReplyDelete