Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Title: Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars #1)
Author: Kersten Hamilton

Genre: Fiction (Young Adult - Paranormal/Supernatural)

Love/Hate?: Something very close to love.
Rating: 4.5ish/5
Did I finish?: Yes!
One-sentence summary: Teenage Teagan fights local jerks, evil goblins, crush on cute boy.

Why did I get this book?: The Blake reference. I couldn't resist!
Source: NetGalley

Do you like the cover?: Yes. It actually quite relates to the book and resembles, I imagine, the art of Aileen Wylltson (the heroine's mother).

First line from book: Please, Teagan Wylltson's fingers curled in American Sign Language as she spoke.

Did... I find everyone but the hero to be appealing and engaging?: YES.  Finn was sadly one-dimensional; a recurrent tertiary character had more heft than he did.

Did... I like, admire, and cheer for Teagan, our heroine?: YES.  Much like Aislinn from Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, Teagan problem solved and kicked butt, cried and felt fear, fell in love and kept her spunk.  

Did... the end of the book wrap up in a totally satisfying and yet awesomely cliff-hanger-y way?: YES.  I put it down with a laugh and a shriek!

Review: The subtitle of this book -- Goblin Wars -- almost made me pass on reading it, but I really couldn't resist the Blake reference.  I'm so glad I gave it try, because this was an unexpectedly engrossing paranormal adventure.  Paranormal novels with a mythological basis are hardly new, but Hamilton's focus on the truly dark aspects of Celtic mythology is what made this story so interesting.  That, and her really interesting characters! 

I had gotten myself into a snit near the start of the novel, when it was revealed that heroine Tegan's mother was an artist.  I wasn't sure I could sit through another book with a throwaway parent so I was deeply pleased to discover mama Aileen's career choice was quite deliberate and plot relevant.  Whew!  In fact, I found the characters -- even the most slight -- to be vibrant and thoughtfully fleshed out.  Our heroine Teagan, is smart and funny, tough and emotional, empathetic and interesting.  Despite the chemistry she feels for Finn, she remains true to her character and behaves admirably through the book.  She didn't turn into a wilting wallflower the moment Finn arrived; she fought goblins and college-aged jerks with guts.  Some of the funniest lines in the book came from her!  The half star I took off comes solely because our hero, Finn, is the flattest of the bunch.  To be fair, he had tough competition, but as the romantic lead and demigod of the bunch, he really should have been more than a Brad Pitt lookalike with an Irish accent. 

That tiny quibble aside, I can honestly say I'm hooked!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one too, and like you the goblins almost threw me off.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I see now the book isn't out until November and there's no word yet on when the sequel will be out! *dying*

    ReplyDelete