Friday, October 29, 2010

Short Fiction Friday, Oct 29

Weirdly enough, this week's post is less about specific stories I liked and more about story sources!

Unfinished 'Piper' story by Maggie Stiefvater.  One, in the least creepy way, I want all three of the Merry Sisters of Fate to be my BFF. Honestly, they're so adorable and funny.  Two, Maggie Stiefvater turned this thirty year old-ish lesbian into a werewolf fangirl who now slightly crushes on teenaged boys in YA novels.  I know, even my teenaged brother-in-law can't stop rolling his eyes.  Three, this story rocks, and I would say that even if I didn't think Ms Stiefvater was all that and a bucket of ice cream.

Library of America (who publishes those very solid looking editions by a single author, all black, with a red ribbon bookmark, if I'm recalling correctly) now posts a new piece of short fiction a week at their Story of the Week blog.  In honor of Halloween, I'm ignoring this week's story and directing everyone to 'The Devil and Tom Walker' instead!

And finally, I have to recommend a podcast this week!  Podcastle has fabulous fiction of the supernatural vein (but nothing too genre for those who aren't hardcore into zombies or vampires).  The website links to the text of each story, so if you're really not interested in listening, you can read the stories -- but I have to say, there's something so lovely about a new 20-minute story being read to me every week or so!  Last week's story -- which was so good -- was Caitlin R Kiernan's 'The Belated Burial'.  Creepy and chilling.

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to read Maggie Stiefvater, I know right? However I do have one in my TBR pile that I should really get reading.

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete