Monday, August 16, 2010

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker - Leanna Renee Hieber


Title: The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #1)
Author: Leanna Renee Hieber

Genre: Fiction (Paranormal/Victoriana)

Love/Hate?: Dislike
Rating: 1/5
Did I finish?: No!

One-sentence summary: Friends of Justice, Victoriana-style, wait around for the The One in order to fight evil.
Tropes: Preternaturally attractive heroine, aggravatingly moody hero

Why did I get this book?: People I like like it!
Source: Public library

Do you like the cover?: Not particularly.

First line from book: The air in London was grey.

Did this book make me wish my commute were longer?: NO.
Did this book require a dictionary?: NO.
Did I want one of the characters to be my BFF?: NO.

Review: I've tried twice to read this book, and on my second attempt, I made it further -- third chapter. But neither time nor more pages made this book any more engaging for me. I found it bland and familiar (in the worst way). Worse, I didn't like any of the characters, least of all the eponymous Miss Percy Parker. To be fair, I hardly got to know her, but from the moment she stepped foot into the scene, I didn't want to.

I wish I had some specifics to offer, but really, I felt myself kind of glazing over with each page -- when I should have been hanging on every word.

2 comments:

  1. wow this sounds pretty awful. sorry it did not work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I really, really wanted to like it -- I've heard it's been optioned as a Broadway musical -- maybe I'll like it better then!

    ReplyDelete