Thursday, August 19, 2010

For the King - Catherine Delors


Title: For the King
Author: Catherine Delors

Genre: Fiction (Historical)

Love/Hate?: Love!
Rating: 5/5
Did I finish?: Couldn't finish fast enough, which was bad, because then the book was over!

One-sentence summary: Police inspector fights conspiracies within police, Paris, personal life.

Why did I get this book?: It was singing my name
Source: I won a copy from Hist-Fic Chick

Do you like the cover?: Yes, although it didn't catch the flavor of the book

First line from book: It had been one of the shortest days of the Year Nine of the Republic, the 3rd of the month of Nivose in the revolutionary calendar.

Did I routinely stay up after midnight to keep reading?: Yes.
Did this book make me wish my commute were longer?: Yes.
Did I nurture a crush on one or more of the characters: Yes. (Roch and Alexandrine, of course!)

Trivia gleaned: Sodomy was decriminalized post Revolution!

Review: I stayed up until about 3am to finish this book because I was dying to find out how things concluded. Delors has written my favorite kind of historical: rich in detail with interesting characters and a detailed plot that is engrossing. I particularly loved the police procedural angle -- I adore all things Napoleonic, but haven't read a novel that was really set with the citizens. Our hero, Roch Miquel, is maddening and dreamy, which felt very real for me: his youth and experience helped and hindered him through his investigation.

Tidbit not relevant to novel but still fun: Author Catherine Delors (@catherinedelors) tweets and she kindly tweeted back with every breathless squee of mine.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like your review style! The one sentence summaries and answers to questions are a nice, quick way to get a feel for how much you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your reviewing style. I've not read too many historicals, but this actually sounds interesting. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red & India -- Thanks for the kind comments. My review style is definitely a WIP --but I'm glad this format is appealing so far! :)

    ReplyDelete