Monday, April 12, 2010

Larsson, Steig - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Title: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Author: Steig Larsson

Genre: Fiction (Mystery)

Love/Hate?: Love!
Rating: 4/5
Did you finish?: Yes -- couldn't stop reading it!

One-sentence summary: Underdog journalist solves multiple crimes and has sex.

Why did you get this book?: GWDT is very hot at the moment. I love noir and it's gotten good reviews.

Do you like the cover?: Yes.

First line from book: It happened every year, was almost a ritual.

Review: Overall, a very enjoyable mystery thriller. I wish the English edition kept the Swedish title (Men Who Hate Women) because that gave a greater sense of the story than the title currently in use (which makes it seem as if Lisbeth Salander, the girl with the tattoo, is the heroine). Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is our hero, for good and for bad (frequently I felt like Larsson was relating a little too much with his hero and making him a little too perfect, too handsome, too noble, too fabulous in bed).

I'm on the fence if I'm going to read the second book in the series: I absolutely cannot stand Blomkvist's relationship with his colleague and on-again-off-again lover, Erika Berger and I'm not entirely sure I can take more hero worship of Blomkvist.

This is coming out more negative than I intended, because I have been raving about this novel to anyone who will listen. It was surprisingly engrossing considering it opens up with a financial scandal (a topic that usually makes my eyes glaze over) and it concludes completely with absolutely no loose ends. Even though I was annoyed by the characterization at times, I was so satisfied with the mystery.

Tropes?: SPOILER!!!!

Older man has vibrant sex life with young nymphet that falls in love with him.

1 comment: